TN or IPS monitor? (1080p)

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I'm looking for a new monitor, which I'll be using for gaming. I need one that's 1080p, and basically not just crap... As long as it's a decent monitor with DVI input, it's fine (I don't need speakers or anything).
So, should I go for a TN or IPS panel? I play a mixture of games, mainly strategy or fps games though (not sure if it makes any difference to preferred choice).
I've narrowed my choices down to these two monitors so far, but if anyone has better suggestions at around the same price (preferably available on amazon as well), then make sure to post them. TN panel and IPS panel

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Edit: Max budget is around £150, and if I go with a TN panel I'll still only be looking for a 60Hz monitor

Solution

Well then, I'd go with IPS because it'll give you better picture quality and color accuracy.

-Lone-

Admirable

It really depends on what you want, better picture quality or better smoothness. If you want better picture quality, then IPS would be best for you, if for smoothness, then you should consider a 144Hz monitor.

What's your max budget btw?

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
TN pnels will give you a much smoother expenice with your inputs showing up a few milliseconds sooner while IPS will give you a much more color accurate expenice. If both are 1080p 60Hz then go with IPS but if you can get a 1080p 144Hz or better then TN is better for your FPS games.

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Max budget is around £150, the monitors I linked are around £95 and £115 for the TN and IPS panels respectively. If I go with TN I'll still only be getting a 60Hz monitor

-Lone-

Admirable

Well then, I'd go with IPS because it'll give you better picture quality and color accuracy.

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable

The only more expensive ones that I see are higher resolutions like 1440p IPS or 4k IPS in the future, so no, IPS is the same for other 1080p monitors.

Mattib 050

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Oh right, thanks! It doesn't have speakers, and it's got pretty much everything I need. If there's not much difference between different 1080p panels then I'll probably just stick with that

-Lone-

Admirable

Okay, cool. Have fun and enjoy your new monitor :)