monitor or tv recommendation: 4k, 32inch+, gaming

helios321

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hi guys,

I am looking for a 4k monitor or TV that is fairly large 32inch+ for gaming. I play many types of gaming especially driving and flight sim. For me, 60hz is fine, and prefer 16:9 aspect ratio so X Box one games don't have black border. Right now I am seriously considering the Phillips BDM4065UC (which is 4k, 40 inch) for just under $1100 AUS dollars. Its expensive but they aren't many extra large monitors and 27 inch is not good enough for me. I may also considering buying a 4k TV but do not know much about the drawbacks of buying a TV for PC gaming.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Solution
When looking at TV's for gaming you need to research the input lag, some 4k TV's have awful input lag.

How powerful is you gaming PC? Gaming at 4k 60fps needs a very high end gaming rig. If you don't have one and the main use of this TV/monitor is for gaming I would look at lower resolutions. For console gaming I would say you are better off with 1080p
When looking at TV's for gaming you need to research the input lag, some 4k TV's have awful input lag.

How powerful is you gaming PC? Gaming at 4k 60fps needs a very high end gaming rig. If you don't have one and the main use of this TV/monitor is for gaming I would look at lower resolutions. For console gaming I would say you are better off with 1080p

Solution

ozicom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Well buying that monitor does not give you gaming 4k on Xbox but you can play 4k games at your pc. I'm also in research for a 4K 40" monitor or TV and i found out that if you want to use a TV you have to use GTX 970 or 980 - because they are the only cards that have HDMI 2.0 support and you can't convert DP to HDMI 2.0 with a converter yet - , an HDMI 2.0 port TV - TV manufacturers are not putting Displayport to TVs - so buying a PC monitor with DP support is cheaper because DP 1.4 can be found on many cheap Nvidia or ATI cards that give you 4k 60hz or more.