Help me upgrade motherboard / cpu / memory ???

joojoomonster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015
So I want to upgrade my cpu / motherboard and get some more memory.

Right now I have this:
CPU name: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor
MOTHERBOARD: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#ov

^ this is old as dirt right? I read the Introduction date of this CPU was May 2010...
yet it still seems to be doing the job ok... ;)

Memory: 8gb
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 FTW, 2GB - just got it awhile ago..

I want to get an intel i7 or whatever is the best cpu out now for me and a new motherboard that can hold at least 32 gb memory.. ... and as much memory as I can get for the price that's compatible with what I have now so i can just add to it. Unless its shit old memory which it probably is since it came with this original setup.... right... Here's the type of memory I have now: http://postimg.org/image/d27nwqzhl/

500.00 upgrade budget.

I do a lot of gaming and Photoshop work as a graphic designer.. if that matters..

this is what I was thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1739933

joojoomonster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

so you think I should just upgrade my memory and video card?

I think you would definitely see an improvement if you upgraded CPU, it's just the old phenom is not 'old as dirt' just yet :)

Your GPU is what is holding you back right now, not your CPU. But for $500 you could upgrade both - let me put something together for you...

...what power supply do you currently have?

joojoomonster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2015

I don't know.. probably something like 650 .. and I don't think there's any way to tell without taking it out and looking at right

Yeah you'd need to check the sticker on the side

Alright

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $337.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-12 07:57 EST-0500

This is a very solid CPU upgrade for you. Your current 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram will do for now, although when you upgrade to 16gb in the future I would upgrade to 1600mhz ram

As for graphics card, the GTX960 is out very very soon and will be about $180-$200, it should be perfect for you

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Just get the best GPU you can afford and 8gb of 1600mhz RAM. If you want a CPU upgrade as well, you can get the FX-8320 and use it with your current motherboard.

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
For a workstation GPU, your 750 is more than enough as far as Photoshop is concerned. You will get the most performance boost from getting upgrading your CPU. Go with Luco's suggestion and get additional ram as needed. Everyone recommending a GPU upgrade only seem to focus on getting a few more fps (the benefit will be minimal since your CPU will be a bottleneck on newer title anyways). Your 750 will do the job just fine.

Hmm, an 800w PSU rated for 26amps on the +12v? Yeah that power supply is absolute junk I'm afraid. It's more like a 350w or 400w

If you decide to upgrade your graphics card at any point, be sure to upgrade your power supply too. Good brands that are reasonably priced are

EVGA B2 or G2
XFX
Seasonic
Antec (high current gamer series)
Rosewill Capstone 750 (sometimes goes cheap)

A good quality 550w with 40a+ on the +12v rail would be more than enough for most graphics cards, especially the new GTX 9xx cards

TRENDING THREADS