System won't boot after Windows installation

byECHO

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi,

I recently installed Windows 10, everything worked fine but I realized If I turn off computer and turn on it again It does not boot. It stays at black screen and hdd stops working. I tried other bootloaders GRUB and rEFInd but nothing changed.If I restart system or enter bios and press f10(save & restart) everything works fine. This is not bootloader problem.

I realized at first boot my bios can't read my hdd. Normally my bios entries are like:
#1 Boot loader (P0: <hdd name>)
#2 Boot loader (P0: <hdd name>)

At first boot they are like:
#1 Boot loader (P0: ...)
#2 Boot loader (P0: ...)

I checked sata configuration in bios. It is set to use ahci(no other options) and same situation applies to it too. At first boot It can only detect it is an hdd but no name or any other information.
EasyFlash does not work either if I don't restart.
My laptop is ASUS x555ln.

byECHO

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

No it does not. It does not matter which bootloader is active or which operating system is installed.

You most likely have a hardware issue with the hard disk or the motherboard; the OS has nothing to do with it. Since it boots after you press F10, the motherboard probably is fine, but the HDD may take too long to become ready.

byECHO

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Possible but why? It was working just fine before installing Windows 10. Should I wipe all hdd and reinstall? I still have warranty but I really don't want to send it becuase It takes damn too long to get things back.

Edit:
I realized something, in sata configuration in bios, like I said, hdd information is empty only Device type is set to Hard Disk, but optical drive is just fine.

byECHO

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

With wiping I ment delete all partitions(including recovery and efi partitions), and re-installing from scratch. Well I guess I should send it to warranty.