Gaming computer for under $400-$450....can build my own

coldsoulkiller

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
i'm a 16 year old who just got his first look into PC gaming because of taking a college chemistry course in high school. Taking this class gave me a Lenovo X131e Chromebook to use for the year, and it sucks...But i have a job and am looking for a computer to be able to game on, but i don't know what i need. Obviously i want the most bang for my buck so if you guys could tell me what i should get to build my laptop that would be amazing :). i realize i'm kinda rambling so if you have any questions please leave a comment and i will do my best to reply with something you can understand :p also my step dad is a IT guy so he can build it for me. TY for ALL of your help..this is my first time doing this on a website like this. And also whatever programs and stuff i need.... i really don't know what i'm doing.links to the other discussions because i dont know what catagory to put it under.. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2479827/gaming-computer-400-450-build.html http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2479836/gaming-computer-400-450-build.html i really am not looking to play PC games like diablo or minecraft .. im into more in browser mmorgp games right now..like dragoneternity or dawn of the dragons.. but eventually id like to play big PC games..

coldsoulkiller

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

i guess not but i like laptops because of their portability.... and because the only place i could put a desktop most likely would be in my cold cold basement..i don't like the cold

but please leave ideas for both

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

$450 doesnt really get you anything "gaming" in terms of a laptop, unless you look at a used one.

Heres a desktop build for around $430, but doesnt include windows, peripherals, DVD drive (but this is only a few $$) or monitor/tv.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xjxsWZ

Your budget is really on the low side. It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to build a decent gaming computer for under about $650 as a desktop. I strongly suggest you keep an eye out for student deals at major manufacturers such as Lenovo, Dell, and HP. I recommend Lenovo over the others. Smaller boutique manufacturers won't give you a great deal, but keep an eye also on ASUS and MSI websites.

Look at you school's campus store whether they offer discounts anywhere. Sometimes you can also acquire software, specifically Windows OS at huge discounts as a student.

Dell sometimes have clearance sales, but the low-end PCs aren't really that great and are a pain (impossible) to upgrade due to Dell's proprietary components.

Also look on Newegg.com for special, daily deals. Follow a few deal sites and see what pops up. If this takes time, all for the better, because you'll be saving a larger sum of money to buy a better PC.

I don't recommend you try to build your own if you are new to the game and have less than about $850 or so.

coldsoulkiller

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

i dont know what any of those things are.. im just starting to get into technology any the names of things lol

coldsoulkiller

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

honestly i just want a computer that will run fast and not have a whole lot of lag/ have a good frame rate

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Ok, so i meant i didnt include mouse/keyboard/monitor/dvd drive or Windows in that build.