Moving an LSI virtual drive to another LSI controller card?

JCB75

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
I have a LSI 9266-4i but am upping to a 9266-8i for more internal SATA connections. I am wondering if I setup a system on the 4i will I be able to move it over to the 8i without recreating the virtual drive and losing data?

popatim

Titan
Thats pretty easy If i understand you right but you still want to run a backup as step 1
Basically you disable quiet boot in the bios, install the new controller, and then press F to import the import foreign array when prompted , and then run consistency checks when its all done.

ps- if you get a message that all your disks from your previous configuration are gone. Please DO NOT PRESS C.
Press any other key to continue. importing the foreign arrays. (This message just means that the previous drives/arrays on THIS adapter cant be found - which you dont care)

JCB75

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Perfect. I'll give that a shot. One more thing. I'm trying to install a Server OS to a single SSD. This will be the new foreign drive when the 8i arrives but I want it to dual boot with my current Win 7 OS. Do I need to set the SSD to bootable in the LSI MSM before setting up the Server OS? I have read that I can unhook all drives but the two and install the new and the dual boot entries will be created. That was my plan to try but not sure about the boot option.