Help me Save money on my gaming rig.

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015
Last Week I asked for help picking parts for a Mid range gaming rig (800-900 Euro)
I got some excellent advice from the community. Having a pretty good idea of the Hardware Im going to get, i'm now asking for advice on how to get the gear i need for as cheap as possible

I'm living in Germany, and im looking for advice on Website and where to find the best sales, bundles and value deals. Im in no rush to buy a PC right now so Im happy to buy over the Duration of a few months

Alternativly if you have any suggestions on Hardware id love to hear it.

Click here for the origninal post.

Here is a quick over of the aims of my build

• I play a very broad range of games but I would like to be able to play current and future AAA titles in High-Ultra Settings. For the time being I will probably game on a 1080p Monitor but I would like to be able to game at 1440p in the future (I accept that I will Need to lower Setting)

I would like to be able to do some Manipulation and processing on Large Images (typically .jpg and .tiff) as my work might require it (Nothing too extreme)

I want to achieve reasonable Sound Levels and power consuption. The PC will be in my bedroom so i dont want it too loud.

My Proposed Build

Below is an over view of the hardware and the lowest Price I could find (pc-partpicker)
Currently The build Comes to roughly 950 Euro. But i think there is some Money to be saved, in particular with the Case, Ram and Mother board.

(PC-partpicker link http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/v4JnCJ)

• CPU
    -Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 € 165

Mother Board
    ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard €60.79

Memory
    - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory €76.89

GPU
    -Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card €314.89

CPU Cooler
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler €32.99

SSD
    SSD for OS
    Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €79.90

HDD
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive €55.90

Case
    Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case €92.80

Power Supply
    SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply €69.00

Many thanks

If you have any comments or suggestons please let me know

YoDa_95

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
You can probably go for a Corsair Carbide 300R case. For the motherboard, unless you want to go for a microATX build, I wouldn't recommend going down any further. Its a good motherboard. And for the RAM, anything above 1600MHz does not make a big difference in terms of speed. So you can very well go for a 1600MHz Ram such as Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB. Other than this its a good build.

Pr3di

Honorable
Here`s what I would go with if you want to keep the same level of performance.
Also, the CPU cooler is not needed since you will not overclocl, but it will help make the build more silent, so since you`re interested in that, I maintained it in the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€165.71 @ Home of Hardware DE)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€32.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€62.90 @ Hardwareversand)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€69.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€60.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€55.90 @ Home of Hardware DE)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (€314.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€49.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€69.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €881.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-14 14:50 CET+0100

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015

hey thanks for the Input. The case might be a good replacement. Think il have to do some more Research on cases in generaly because i think I could save around 50 Euro on the build by making a smart buy with the case.

Walkon

Honorable
Jan 9, 2015

hey thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.

The Team Vulcan RAM might be a good addition

Im somewhat wary of going for a micro atx Setup. I know it typically makes the Motherboard and case cheaper. Mu concerne with smaller form factors is mainly clearance issues. It might be worth my while checking out build guides that use similar componants to get a better idea of the scale of the Hardware.

Regarding the NZXT Source 210 Elite case. From what i can gather this case only Comes with 1 fan and the Reviews i have read score it poorly on cooling.