Best cpu and gpu for Video editing ?

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
hey everyone so im a uni student and im right now upgrading my system so i was thinking what is the best cpu and gpu for video editing. i was looking at a fx-9590 and r9 290 are those good options for my case?

sammy sung

Distinguished
For just video editing?

You'd be better served with a 4790K. Or if you have the budget for it, I'd go the ddr4 route and get a 5820K with something a bit more simple like a 280/280X. But even a 750ti would suffice to meet these ends

dyl47

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Hold up, what programs are you using? Premiere and Adobe programs utilize CUDA cores better than open CL, meaning that Nvidia is a better choice than ATI for graphics cards. Sony Vegas on the other hand, runs SLOWER with GPU acceleration on with a Nvidia card, so you must get ATI. It is basically open CL exclusive.

GPU is not important in video rendering. It can help a bit, but video cards are more important for things like 3d modeling such as Maya and Cinema 4D.

Do not go the AMD route unless you are willing to give up speed. If you are on a tight, tight, budget, get the FX-8350 paired with a GPU that will compliment whatever programs you use (once again, please tell us)

If I could re-do my build again, I would no doubt get the 5820k. It is the first time EVER that we have seen a 6 core processor become affordable to the average user... For only 380 bucks you are getting an absolute powerhouse for video editing. The DDR4 ram and x99 motherboards is as close to future proofing as you could possibly get. Depending on what you need you could get one of the most efficient machines imaginable for around $1000 bucks.

Go the AMD route and you will receive significantly slower rendering times, but you will have a lot more money to spend on partying :p

The 4790k is an option too. This is the CPU I have and I like it. I will never use an intel stock fan/heatsink again though, you have to buy an aftermarket cooler. I am happy with the performance I get. It takes me 2.1 minutes to render 1 minute of video, although I am relearning and none of the formats are the same as they were 2-3 years ago.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
well the main use will be video editing but i will also use it for gaming. sadly the 4790k is out of my budget and i would be using adobe software so premiere pro and Photoshop

dyl47

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Let me break down for you what you need to understand when looking for PC parts.

CPU: Central processing unit. Responsible for rendering. The more cores and speed, the less waiting around you have to do. Also note that instructions and L# cache can make a big difference in the effectiveness of a CPU in rendering. Always make sure you are buying the current generation of processors.

GPU: Graphics processing unit. The use of this depends on the program you are using. With some programs this will accelerate the rendering speeds of your videos. Without one, you will not be able to view your videos in 4k because intel HD graphics does not support such resolution* You will also need this for tri-monitor set ups. There are two different types of GPU's: consumer grade and professional. Consumer grade is the everyday cards you see. Ex, GTX 760. Professional is the quadro cards made for mad scientists and Hollywood film enthusiasts. They will range from $400-4000. If you ever intend to do any sort of gaming ever on your PC, do not get the Quadro's! They are not officially supported. 256 bit bus is twice as fast as 128 bit bus. The higher RAM, the better. More ram is better for more monitors. Example, if you are only using one monitor, 256 bit bus with 1gb ram is a better option than 128bit bus with 2gb ram, which would be better for tri-monitor (assuming they are same price.) CUDA is a technology developed by Nvidia to assist in rendering, while its counterpart is Open-CL, developed by AMD's ATI. The choice depends on which video editing program you seek to use.

STORAGE: Hard drives, SSD's... RAM drives... Everybody loves lots of storage, but what about performance? The common trend gamers and video editors are following is this: SSD drive dedicated for OS and editing programs and a HDD for storing video. SSD's come in all shapes and sizes (not really, they are all 2.5") and only some brands are trusted to not fail and keep their promised speeds of 5x faster than a HDD. The most notorious brand for SSD's is Samsung and arguably Intel. Samsung lead the revolution of SSD's with its extremely low failure rate. Intel and other companies have adopted similar technology to make SSD's a great alternative. Some other brands that are trusted besides Samsung and Intel are: Mushkin, Crucial, Kingston, Sillicone Power. Samsung and Intel are the fastest, though. So let me break it down.

SSD's: Very fast performance. It's 2015, you must own one, or else you are... an idiot. I bought a Intel 730 240gb and I have all my editing programs + 10 games and it is getting full (80%) and has started to slow down the write speeds but not the read, and I could fix this by clearing up some storage.

HDD's: Only get 7200 RPM. WD and Seagate are the most common brands. If you are on a budget, get the WD Blue. It is cheap and it works. For more reliability, get the HGST deskstar. It is high performance WD drive.

RAID: The most important term for you to understand with HDD's is RAID. RAID, or striping, is extremely important when working with 4k, 3d or high resolution material. RAID 0 removes the virtual barrier between two HDD's so that you may double the speeds of two HDD's and combine their storage into one. If you buy any Z97 or x99 motherboard, I can assure you it has RAID built inside of it. All you would have to do is enable it in the BIOS and BAM, your drives just doubled in speed! It is not a bad idea to buy two 1TB drives to make your own 2TB 14000 RPM drive.

Motherboards: There is a common misconception that motherboards can become a "bottleneck" in the performance of your system. This is not true: motherboards will give you the same output for your CPU no matter what. The only difference is things like PCIe lanes and other bells and whistles which are optional. Example, two graphics cards slots, on board audio, PCIe lanes, wifi, and other such things. For video editing, I would get one with good on board sound, or be prepared to add a sound card if you want to make sure your sound is premium rather than just great.

RAM: Random access memory. This will determine the amount of pre rendered footage available for preview in After Effects and other programs. It will not effect rendering speeds, and is a great commodity when needed, although not crucial. 16gb is good, 8gb is limiting.

PSU: This is the most misunderstood conundrum in computing because people think that the only thing that matters is the efficiency rating. Sure, saving 5% in power can be a great way to help save the environment (and your wallet) but ultimately that $20 a year you save in power because you went Gold over Bronze in the 80+ efficiency rating won't mean a damn thing if it starts popping silicone popcorn and burns your house down. In fact, power supplies are so important this guy called jonnyguru gets paid to review them for a living. Some notable brands for power supplies are Seasonic, and xFx. There is a team of japanese that make the best power supplies in the world. Their name is not ringing a bell right now, but I would get one of the power supplies they engineered. You can find the best power supplies on jonnyguru.com

**NEWS**
Intel: New 5th gen codenamed Broadwell CPU's expected to launch sometime in Q2 this year. It might be worth the wait as these will be slightly faster (10% at most) but the 5th gen price will replace the 4th gen.

AMD: Not doing nothing new. Same old architecture, 32nm is a joke compared to Intel's 12nm. They are surviving. Expect their stock to tank. Their server chipset fell through and now we should all be concerned because Intel is gaining a monopoly on the market and we will be forced to pay premium. Although I do appreciate the price of the 5820k. :)

That's it for now. A lot of information is missing, but I did hopefully enlighten you on the basics for video editing.

dyl47

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

That is fine :) Would you like me to make you a build with the FX-8350? I recomend that processor. It is actually not that much slower than mine, and although an i5 would be better for gaming, the FX-8350's hyper threading will make it wayyy better for video editing. The FX-8350 is still a great choice if you are on a budget.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

dont you think that the FX-9590 would be better than the 8350 as the difference in the uk is like 30 pounds.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

i would love to see what you can build for me

AHBman

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
Hello

Compare by yourself :

index.php

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

this image doesnt help me when i mentioned the fx 9590 and it isnt in the comparison so where would that come?

mlga91

Admirable
An fx 8320 does well in those apps, and costs like the half of a i7, the 9590 is a very bad choice, doesnt perform as well as a i7 4790k, and in the end, is more expensive, considering that water cooling is a must on fx 9xxx cpus.

dyl47

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

I agree. The power consumption is THREE times the power consumption of the 4790k. I know, AMD seems like the "cheaper and more efficent alternative" but unless you are buying the FX-8350, (which would cause your rendering times to take a hit) AMD is a horrible option. They are getting close to bankruptcy. The 9590 is an absolute joke. It does at 4.7ghz and three times the amount of power which the i7 4790 (non k version) can do at 3.6ghz and 80w compared to the ridiculous 220w power consumption...

I can make you a FX-8350 build for under $700 USD, but the 9590... You're on your own. I simply couldn't recommend that.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

yeah please dude show me a 8350 build

AHBman

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
When we choose a CPU, you have three criteras :
- Budget
- Performace
- Uses
Only, we didn't chose the CPU in function of TDP, power consumption or heating, that can be resolved with a good cooler, the FX 8350 is just the best opton for your budget, and if you can, the i7 4790K woukd be certainly better

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($158.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO 120 REV.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $742.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-16 04:52 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO 120 REV.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($136.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $939.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-16 04:53 EST-0500

Premier Pro benefits a lot from CUDA cores, May be adding a stronger card can increase your performances

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

No, it doesnt. Even hundred dollar coolers do not fix the problem. h100i and temps still hitting into the lower 90`s. No es bueno.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: cooler master v8gts (already have)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 (already have this but might buy another 8gb)
Storage: WD black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal (already have )
Video Card: Asus AMD Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC Graphics Card
Case: Sharkoon T9 ATX Midi Tower
Power Supply: alpine 750w (already have it)

What do you guys think of this setup ?

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

what Card would you recommend around the same price as the r9 290?

Yes it does. If you are getting in the lower 90's with an H105 then you have a problem going on. My H105 (slightly thicker and with better fans) hits not where near that and the difference bewteen my cooling set up and yours is not that great that you should be getting almost double of what I get in terms of temps.