Sign in with
Your question

<£50 AM3 CPU Cooler

Last response: in Components
July 1, 2012 1:01:51 PM

I'm looking to overclock my AMD Phenom II 965 BE, it is currently at 3.4 GHz (stock) while using the stock fan. Can anyone give me a good idea how much I should overclock it and recommend a good cooler (preferably low wattage and quiet) to do it with .My case is a Zalman Z11 Plus so it should be big enough for most coolers. I don't know much about water cooling but it is something I'm interested in but is it safe, hard to install, loud or high wattage? Also, my case has blue LED s so the cooler must either have blue LED s or non at all. Lastly, the cooler must not cover any RAM slots on my AsRock 970 Extreme3 (ATX) motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

More about : am3 cpu cooler

July 1, 2012 1:42:16 PM

Any decent air cooler your going to have to accept it will likely cover the 1st RAM slot. If your RAM has tall heatsinks thats an issue.

If your RAM has no heatsinks then consider the Freezer 7 pro it covers the 1st slot but allows it to be populated (just about) by regular height RAM. It costs about £18 and you can get a decent OC from it.

If your RAM is low profile or you can accept the loss of the slot get the coolermaster 212 EVO, costs more than the freezer but is better infact its as good as many cheap closed waterloops at a fraction of the price. This is the best price/performance air cooler but like I said you will lose a RAM slot though if your RAM is low profile you may be able to fit it in.

Freezer 7
http://www.cclonline.com/product/26476/8-7276700249-4/C...

212 EVO
http://www.cclonline.com/product/76740/RR-212E-16PK-R1/...

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2012 1:51:52 PM

Best air...

Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator and Fan Socket LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA775,
17 reviews
- Noctua NH-D14
- Multiple Socket Support
- Six heatpipe dual radiator design

£56.58inc. vat

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2012 1:52:54 PM

Or water cooling.

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
27 reviews
- Corsair H60 Hydro Liquid Cooler
- Multiple Socket support
- Cold Plate Material - Copper
Show more details…

£50.42inc. vat

July 1, 2012 2:13:11 PM

h60 works awesome. Keeps my 3.8 ghz phenom II 955 at mid 40's while gaming for a long duration. I have a push/pull setup in my antec 1200 v3 case. It's an intake, instead of an exhaust, for better temps, and the top two fans pull that hot air up, anyway.
July 1, 2012 2:30:45 PM

wr6133 said:
Any decent air cooler your going to have to accept it will likely cover the 1st RAM slot. If your RAM has tall heatsinks thats an issue.

If your RAM has no heatsinks then consider the Freezer 7 pro it covers the 1st slot but allows it to be populated (just about) by regular height RAM. It costs about £18 and you can get a decent OC from it.

If your RAM is low profile or you can accept the loss of the slot get the coolermaster 212 EVO, costs more than the freezer but is better infact its as good as many cheap closed waterloops at a fraction of the price. This is the best price/performance air cooler but like I said you will lose a RAM slot though if your RAM is low profile you may be able to fit it in.

Freezer 7
http://www.cclonline.com/product/26476/8-7276700249-4/C...

212 EVO
http://www.cclonline.com/product/76740/RR-212E-16PK-R1/...

Thanks, I'm going to go for the 212 EVO because I like the look of it, I'm a big Cooler master fan and I've seen many good review of it.
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2012 3:54:41 PM

Hyper 212 Evo for good, all round cooling with decent o/c potential at low price.

Noctua NH D-14 for top of the line cooling, best o/c potential, little more expensive, huge beast.
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2012 3:56:39 PM

das_stig said:
Hyper 212 Evo for good, all round cooling with decent o/c potential at low price.

Noctua NH D-14 for top of the line cooling, best o/c potential, little more expensive, huge beast.

Well, there was £50 in the title : )

That can get u the best for sure :D 

Now I noticed the CPU.
!