Intel i3-4130 vs. AMD FX-6300

pinganswer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I am replacing a Windows Home Server v1 with a build for 3 things: WHS v2011, Plex and Tivo Desktop. The system will have 9TB of video moved over from v1. I already have a case, power supply, DVD, hard drives and a cheap video card so it comes down to CPU, Mobo and memory. I need to be at or under $260.

Build Intel:
I3-4130 = $122
ASRock Z97M Pro4 = $100
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1866 = $37
Total = $259

Build AMD:
AMD FX-6300 = $110
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ = $80
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB DDR3 1866 = $37
Total = $227

I just want to pick what will be the best performance. It would seem with everything I'll be running on this box that the extra cores on the AMD is better, but I like the low energy/heat of the Intel.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Vitric9

Distinguished
If really need the extra Threads then the FX 6300 is a no contest for that price. The FX 6300 would be better for heavier Multi-threaded workloads and Certain games But the i3 edges this one. Not to mention Features that come with Intel and Z97 ... what I am saying If you want my opinion go with the i3. if you can find a similarly priced 4330 or 4150 or 4350 then those a good choices as well.
I can't speak to much the FX series as I have not ever used one myself though have had other AMD PCs to use. That of K10 micro-architecture( Athlon II) and an older Athlon 64.

pinganswer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Decided to bump up to an FX 8320 and go AMD. This gives me 8 cores, so I think it will be the better solution. Mobo will be ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970. I think it will work great. Thanks for your thoughts.

pinganswer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Even though I have overclocked chips before, given that I want this system to run rock steady for about 5 years I probably won't mess with it here. If I run into problems then I might consider it.

Vitric9

Distinguished
Just a quick note. the FX 6300 and M5A97 R2.0 is a decent and well priced option that can peform and overclock well enough. from what I have read Asus M5A97 R2.0 has no issues using an FX 8xxx octa core CPU. Though some vendors do have issues with their 970 Chipset MBs and the octa cores, .....

I agree with what st3v30 said about the FX 8320 and the M5A97 R2.0/M5A97 R2.0 LE boards. Not that it is a bad combo or not compatible , because it is and quite a few have used the pair. Though if your set then the Non LE has that beefy heatsink on the VRM.
I only say this becuase the FX 8320 can Overclock just as well as the FX 8350 and FX 9370/9590. With that for the price it is and the OC you can achieve makes it One of the best Valued processors available..... as long as it is paired with the right MB. one of the popular choices is Gigabytes GA-990FXA-UD3.

TechsavvyAMD

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
FX 6300 performs better than Intel i3 4130...
but consumes a little bit of power....but if you are getting more performance than intel at same price point.....so you can choose to go with AMD 6300...........

pinganswer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Well, I went with the LE version before some of you posted, and I wish I had gone non-LE. Too late. The setup has gone really well, and it is all working just fine. For reasons I don't understand initially the stock heat sink was as loud as a jet engine...So I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 but before it arrives the whole system just quieted down and now is fine.

The biggest problem I ran into was in trying to install drivers. The ASUS programs that install drivers all balked saying that the version of the OS was unsupported. Fortunately in Device Manager if I searched for the driver on the Driver CD-Rom the system would fine them, so I now have many of the drivers installed--not really a way to know if they are all except I tried to update every device driver in Device Manager.

I loaded StableBit and it is working great and I am backing up my PC now for the first time, so away we go.

The biggest problem I am facing now is getting stupid Windows Homegroups to work. Arrrgggg! Apparently I set up a home group on an old PC that I subsequently reformatted so everybody wants to join it but can't. And I can't figure out how to kill off the old Homegroup. Such a poor implementation by Microsoft.

Thanks for your help. Next time I'll wait a couple of days before proceeding.