Dual Monitor Desktop Problem

moledude

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Hello world,
I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop. I've got two monitors, both hooked up via HDMI. Monitor 1 is my main computer monitor and is always the "main display." Monitor 2 is my T.V.

PROBLEM: when booting my P.C. with Monitor 2 off, my desktop's icons are all missing. I've checked to make sure "Display Icons" is checked, and my computer is correctly identifying only Monitor 1. If I unplug monitor 2 and reboot, the icons show up. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dustin

Solution
I'm using Windows 7 and have tried dual monitors a bit. And it seems to be a bit buggy. Windows seems to forget which is which at times, and gets a bit confused at startups.

Latest problem I had I solved by using the Windows hotkey (windows key + P) to swap between monitor choises. I swiched back and forth (memorize how many presses of P to get between the ones you need) from one monitor to the other, and the desktop found its way back. And have since remembered where it should be upon booting. But its only a matter of time til next time it gets confused.

NerevarReborn

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I'm using Windows 7 and have tried dual monitors a bit. And it seems to be a bit buggy. Windows seems to forget which is which at times, and gets a bit confused at startups.

Latest problem I had I solved by using the Windows hotkey (windows key + P) to swap between monitor choises. I swiched back and forth (memorize how many presses of P to get between the ones you need) from one monitor to the other, and the desktop found its way back. And have since remembered where it should be upon booting. But its only a matter of time til next time it gets confused.

Solution