Torn on buying a monitor: 1440p 27" or 1080p 24"

DD48

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Currently I'm in the market for a monitor. I've got an old Dell Dell SP2309W that I am planning on making my second monitor.

Problem is, I'm unsure of whether to make the jump from 1440p to 1080p. Or if 27" might be too excessive. For what I'd use it for, I do a little bit of everything. Gaming, watching movies (I don't have an HD TV so the monitor would take care of that), working, light photo editing, etc. So things really aren't clear cut. Except maybe an IPS panel since I've been with a TN for so long and I'm doing things other than gaming, but that's about it.

If it helps, here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H57D-V EVO (LGA1156)
Graphics: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 270x

NerevarReborn

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I've tried two very different 27" monitors the past few years and what I've came up with are the following:

A standard IPS has way better image quality and viewing angles than a TN, but can in many cases completely suck for gaming. My IPS (BenQ 27" 60Hz) had a GtG (grey to grey) time of 8 ms i belive, and it ghosted something fierce. I eventually got so fed up with that I switched to a fast TN monitor (Asus 27" 144Hz). 144 Hz and ultra low GtG times meant it was absolutely perfect for gaming. No ghosting at all. That was still a 1080p display however. Both were.

I actually use both right now, I use the IPS one for movies and stuff where I want the best image quality, and I use the TN for eveything else. It just feels more responsive all around, so I prefer it overall. And I have the IPS to the side so I use dual monitors for some programs or just for plain fun sometimes.

There are faster IPS panels today, and they have gotten better in many areas for gaming, but I still would be VERY cautious after my experiences, if I wanted to get one for any amount of gaming.

popatim

Titan
I sit just about 3ft from my displays and find that 24" is just about perfect (for me). I get a nice field of view without needing to turn my head from side to side to focus on the things on the side. A 27 isnt that much wider and should be a good experience too.