Questions left after blueprinting z97 + 4690k + gtx970 build, looking for opinions

0x1eef

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm building my first PC ever, after 7+ years of using laptops (Acer & Mac), so I'm kind of lost in the details. Main purposes: gaming and programming (with a slight shift to the former).

I've already consulted with my friend on multiple occasions and have a blueprint of the future build:

1. MoBo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
2. CPU: Inter Core i5-4690k
3: RAM: Kingston 1x8 GB 1600 MHz Savage CL9
4. Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
5. Storage: WD Black 1TB
6. PSU: Seasonic G-650 650W (SSR-650RM) 80+ Gold
7: CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
8: Case: Zalman Z12 Plus
9. Display: Dell U2414H

I also have a decent PC @ work (Asus H97 MoBo, i7-4770, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT650, dual-monitor setup) and i like it (I don't play games on it, of course, but overall performance leaves good impressions).
So, below is some reasoning for the picks:

0. Availability: I don't have Newegg, Amazon or any multi-country internet hardware shops option in here, so I go with local shops, and their stock is quite limited (e.g., no EVGA graphic cards). I would be grateful if you consider this. Prices won't be on my side here, either.

1. MoBo: I don't wan't to go with anything too fancy like X99 or 2011. Z97 supports OC - though I don't know yet if I will OC in the future; not at the start, I won't - and Broadwell architecture, too. Particular MSI model isn't top, nor it's basic.

2. CPU: one of the hardest choices. I deal with C++ @ work, C#, too. The thing is, it doesn't matter how much hardware one throws at Visual Studio, it still will lag. And this will be my "home" rig, so (luckily!) no C++ here, just C#, Python, some other interpreted languages.
My main concern here is virtual machines support, as I want to run some Linux VMs, GUI or Vagrant, or Docker sometimes and want to know if lack of hyperthreading will be the problem here. Again, I won't run dozens at a time, 1-2 will be enough. i5 is true 4-core, so... no problems here, right? I don't need i7, do I?
Also, because of MoBo, "k" CPU is obvious choice here.

3. RAM: Lowest timing available @ 1600 MHz; won't consider any other frequency. I also went with 1x8 instead of 2x4 because I want to throw in another 8GB soon (VM support; also, because I came from laptops and it's a prejudice - better have an extra RAM)

4. Graphics: I want the latest card on the market, so that it would last longer. 980 looks like overkill for my tasks as 970 should do with modern games but that's the open question for now. I also consider the slight possibility of going SLI in the future if needed.
Particular model was chosen because of good cooling system (according to reviews) and it also happens to be manufactured by the same vendor as MoBo, and, if I recall it correctly, even have some common OC software from MSI.

5. I don't feel I want SSD now 'cause I'm quite happy with conventional 7200 rpm HDDs, and because it's a one-way road (as in "I've recently switched to mechanical keyboard" one-way). Went with WD Black... anyway, there are no 100% good HDDs on the market; could have done with Seagate or some other brand.

6. PSU: oh, here we go.
First: no XFX here; also, Corsair is CX-only. Seasonic, though expensive, seemed like the only choice.
Second: you've guessed it, 650W. Enough for current rig but with a possibility of a future SLI the margins are next to paper-thin.
But overall, SS G-650 looks great, with semi-modular cable system and 80+ Gold.

7. CPU cooler: looking for effective and silent. I know sometimes it isn't the main source of noise but here I want top-notch solution; also, no water. I think U12S stays where it is until there are some really great alternatives.

8. Case: no preferences here, just threw in the first I found. If I understand right, I will need to switch to full-tower in case of SLI (no pun intended). Now I just want to fit all the hardware in a shell with good airflow, and modest, too. So nothing like Z11 Plus (but I will consider some stylish variants if they pop up)

9. Display: not a TN. I know about response time, 144Hz Asus displays and so on but I'm no pro and this isn't a gaming-only PC. I think U2414H will do (but I'm open to suggestions 'cause it is expensive)

10. Games and other duties: I played FPS mostly (CS, CoD) in my younger days, so I'm building all this for BF4, Ultra @ 1080p. Sometimes I enjoy games like Skyrim or Assassin's Creed, too.
Programming: VMs, Python, C#
No video rendering.
Thinking about streaming while playing, but not a requirement.

If you haven't fallen asleep reading all this "I-want-spent-every-penny-right-analysis" (to some point, it really is), there are some questions that are left unanswered:

1. First and foremost, is this setup good? Balanced?

2. Are some parts really bad? Is my logic flawed when reasoning about some parts?

3. Given all from CPU and games sections, should I buy i7-4790k instead (e.g., for streaming)?

4. Is GTX 980 worth it? (No, it's not)

5. Is G-650 a good PSU and should I stick with it if I don't want to go SLI in advance and only when 1 card won't suffice?

6. Will all this fit in Z12 case (card? CPU cooler?)

7. I've heard about limited RGB support on U2414H. Seems there are some workarounds available for NVidia cards but rumors are they don't work 100% of time. It's my main concern about this display and shedding some light on the problem - if any - will be helpful.

8. Is Noctua's thermal compound any good? What should I search for if it's not?

9. What are the good alternatives to my parts of choice? I still could find Asus/Gigabyte MoBos, Asus/Zotac/Inno3D graphics cards, G.Skill/Crucial RAM; PSUs and CPU coolers aren't on the strong side but there are couple alternatives on the market.

Although my budget allow me to buy this (at a total approaching $2k), it's quite tight. I will spend an extra if needed but only if gain is non-negligible given tasks I'm targeting.

Thank you for reading :)

Hi,

on your ram choice: "RAM: Kingston 1x8 GB 1600 MHz Savage CL9". Your CPU will use two dimms at the same time doubling your maximum bandwidth (dual channel). By buying only 1 dimm you give up memory performance. For a large compile with a bad cache hit ratio you might even be able to measure this. It will matter more than CLAS timing. Your MB has 4 dimm slots. Get 2 x 4GB, not 1X 8gb, or start with 2X 8gb.

For gaming the i5 is the right answer. For compiles..... check to see how threaded your compiler is. At work try turning off hyperthreading in the BIOS and see if you can notice a difference in compile times. IF so consider if you want to get an i7.

If you do work on this PC consider whether or not you will OC it. If you don't plan to OC then going to a non-K processor and an H87/H97 MB will save you a lot and give you substantially the same performance.

I went from raid 0 on two spinning drives to a fast SSD (480GB intel 730). I did not see much value in the fast SSD, so I agree with your SSD decision. Suggest you look at WD black performance benchmarks, when I bought mine a few years ago the 1.5TB was significantly faster than the 1TB. That may no longer be true. I use three drives in my PC, one is dedicated to backups. If you plan on doing work (or taxes or photos) on this PC consider a second, slow, cheap internal drive and an automated backup solution like the free copy of acronis you can get since you have a WD drive.

Gaming balance: Too much CPU, great video for 1080p monitor. Memory fine with 1X8gb.

Compile balance: Too much video. CPU just right or not strong enough. Memory needs help to get to two dimms.
Disk:

0x1eef

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Hi,
Thanks for answering.

On why 1x8 RAM: I plan to throw in another 1x8 GB piece after a month, so rig will end up 2x8 anyway and in a short time.

On CPU: I won't bother with long compile times @ home. My main concern was: would it run up to 2 virtual machines simultaneously without guest & host OSes lagging (given I have 16 GB of RAM, so say 4 GB per VM is possible)? Also, will it handle streaming?

On OC: it's the hard question. So many people OC, even if the latest components. I definitely won't OC from the start, but I'm not sure if I will want to in the future. H97 + non-K will save me <$100, not enough to buy second 1x8 RAM module; still, these savings can support buying more powerful PSU but I don't know if going with SLI on H97+non-K is a smart decision.
EDIT: H97 doesn't support NVidia SLI. That kind of limits upgrade capability and brings me back to Z97.

On disk: thanks, I'll search for some benchmarks.

P.S. I'm not sure if I received all of your message 'cause it ends with "Disk:"

EzTec

Distinguished
I'm curious how much did you build or is your build coming out to?

To touch on one of the things we have in common is that i went with all 3 options in your title.... the 4690k, the Gtx 970 and a Gaming Gigabyte Z97 Motherboard..... I am not! going to overclock.... not yet...... but that definitely doesn't mean im not going to later.

I know myself and it might be the same in your case, if i dong get the K version im going to be kicking myself later because once i see more of it and how simple it is and verify what's a safe reasonable overclock.... there is nothing that's gonna hold me back so I know ill do it later hence getting it is just a better move in my opinion, even if you dont know 100% you have the option later.

I really dig MSI but i went with Gigabyte this round.... i was torn between the two but ultimately had to choose one :( if i had the money i'd prob do two builds with how much i wanted both lol.

Best of luck with that build

Edit: Felt like sharing my build here

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
Total: $1026.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-17 05:30 EST-0500

Your logic makes a ton of sense. (applied to both OP and EzTec)

for "On CPU:...would it run up to 2 virtual machines simultaneously ... will it handle streaming? " Your CPU choice is much stronger than most systems out there, so think yes. 16GB memory is plenty for two VM, your single 8bg dimm config will handle 2 VMs also.

re: "P.S. I'm not sure if I received all of your message 'cause it ends with "Disk:" yes, bad edit on my part. the last "disk: was left over debris, please ignore it. Good luck with your system.