Just recently, my LG EB2442T-BN monitor does not show all the start up screens

OneMug

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
When I reboot, I hear the musical sound, dum, dum,dum DUM! but my screen stays black for about a minute. I don't see the usual, motherboard window, the grey boot up options, or the MS 4-color icon. Then my mouse point appears, a rotating circle spins, a light blue screen comes on, and finally the password window shows up. After that, my desktop appears and everything works fine.

Any ideas on why this happens and, more importantly, how I can get my monitor to show the standard visuals while my computer starts up? TIA. OneMug

OneMug

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
DigitalDoc, thanks but I never shut off my computer unless I have to. Before almost all restarts, the monitor has been "on" & presumably warmed up. I've had the monitor for over two years and it's never behaved this way before, i.e, that I don't get the usual screens during the restart.

I just discovered that when I restart my computer, & continuously press f8, I don't go to safe mode or see the screen that gives the user start up options. This has changed from a minor annoyance to a serious concern.

OneMug

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I finally found out what the trouble was. I had a splitter that connected my W7 & XP computers to my monitor. I could switch back & forth by double tapping my scroll lock key. One would run something and I could do other things on the other. I stopped using XP last year. When I removed my monitor cable from the splitter and plugged it directly into my W7, I was able to boot up normally! Case closed. Whew.

Unusual situation with a splitter in there. This is why a direct wire is better. Thanks for sharing what happened!