What are the different IT jobs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1694414
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1694414

So last year of high school! I am very into computers and am looking to have my future career around computers as well! I just wanted to know your job/e xpertise in computers and a short definition of what you do. I know a few like networking and programming but what are some others?

Thanks! Your input is greatly appreciated since I really want to find the right job!

Computer science is a pretty tough major in most schools. You are going to have to take advanced math, programming, and architecture courses. The main use of this major is going to be as a programmer.

If you are not into math, computer information systems deals with how large quantities of computers send and receive data. This means databases, servers, web programming, ect.

cryptography, along with computer security, is another growing field. This also requires programming but focuses on encryption and such. Don't be suprised when you start out learning shift cyphers, as you need to work you way up in complexity to be able to under stand more advanced methods.

These are just a few. You should just do whatever you are interested in.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
The tips I get regularly from IT professionals are to study for Cisco CCNA qualification http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCNA
and also study to get your MCP. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-au/microsoft-certified-professional.aspx

You can find free course materials online so you can teach yourself and then do the exams when you are ready.

As far as other tips build your own computer and learn all you can. This site is great for learning. If you see a topic and don't understand it or don't know any solutions click the track this thread button.

Best of luck to you! I'll leave it to the real professionals to explain what work is out there and what its like working in the industry. I'm currently just a student hobbyist transitioning into IT haha.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I worked for my university's networking group while studying electrical engineering and eventually worked there for a year before I decided to go my degree's field. I've always enjoyed technology and I even looked at pursuing an IT job.

For a job in IT, you'll take some mid math level courses (max Calc I) but predominately computer languages and architecture courses. In college, the best thing you can do is get an internship or a parttime job for an IT firm. It's very important to get exposure to a field as most technical jobs like a person with field experience.

Justin pointed out a very common point. The CCNA. I almost pursued this certification. My friend who I graduated with actually has it. It is a requirement for many IT jobs. Don't worry about getting it now. Get it after you graduate as the cert only lasts for 3 years.

D

Deleted member 1694414

So as when studying for electrical engineering you also covered networking? Also what is a CCNA?

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Not really. I just happened to find a temporary job on campus that was for the IT group. I really enjoyed it at first. They hired me under a year contract after I graduated. I got bored and jump into the engineering field.

From Wikipedia:
CCNA certification is a second level Cisco Career certification. CCNA certification validates the ability to install, configure, operate, and troubleshoot medium-size routed and switched networks, including implementation and verification of connections to remote sites in a WAN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCNA

Basically, you know how networking and security work. If you go towards PC hardware, you really wouldn't need a CCNA. You would work towards A++ Cert and application support.

The IT world is actually pretty big. You should Google the different types of IT jobs and find out what sounds interesting.

Yeah, with what barto said, computer hardware is really just the tip of the ice berg. There's no really high paying career that involves just hardware, so you are going to have to learn software as well.

It's a good idea to do any small jobs you can to add to your experience. This will help you land a steady gig. Installing security systems, home networks, basic computer work, ect. Publishing computer related works can help as well. Making graphics, mods, Browser themes, software, ect. I casually write software to do things I need. Sometimes, If the software is polished enough, I'll publish it as freeware.

D

Deleted member 1694414

Is there a career that would cover both software and hardware? Would computer science cover that? Because both greatly interest me. I don't just want to just jump onto a computer and start programming and not understand any of the hardware things. For examople knowing about all the different parts of a computer and how they work.

Very few computer jobs don't require hardware knowledge. For software programming, you are going to learn computer logic, computer architecture, and computer systems at the very least. In other words, you have to know the system you are programming for.

Computer science is programming. Higher degrees lead to jobs like computer/software engineer. Information Tech leads to things like Database programmer, network admin, and security analyst.

D

Deleted member 1694414

Thanks for the reply! I just want to clear one last thing up. Electronic engineering looks interesting but so does computer science! Does electronic engineering cover software as well? Otherwise I will probably look into computer science .

The only time you'll be dealing with computers in electronic engineering is when using software. They'll have you take CAD and general usability courses but nothing other than that. Electronic engineering is so much more than just computers.

A good example is a remote. The electronic engineer will design the PCB, IR sensor, and other things of that nature. If it's a good remote, it might contain an on-chip processor or a few transistors. If this is the case, your job would be to integrate that into the remote while the guys who took advanced computer science classes (architecture and all that) will design the integrated chip. If you like computers specifically, it might not be the right choice for you.