Spilled water, help!

Iegit

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Alright first off I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but I think we are good.

TL;DR How do I know what still works in my computer and what to replace?

So a week or two ago I spilled a cup off water off my desk directly onto my Antec 1200 top fan (Reference: http://i.imgur.com/zd98MB3.jpg ). The computer was on and then shuttered for a second and then died. Since then I dried as much of the water as I could and tried to save my beloved. When I plug the computer in the lights all come on, on the motherboard and everything seems to be in order. When I turn the computer on the chassis and power supply fans all start humming along and I get a response on my monitor but thats it. I don't get any lights on my keyboard or mouse. I'm wondering if there is anyway to tell what is fried and what I can save since I'm a broke college kid it would be nice to not have to buy a whole new computer. Any advice would be helpful, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

-legit

dgfcavs7

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Well one thing I'd recommend is if your college has an IT help desk, is to go there. It could be a world of things. They should be able to figure out what is going wrong with it. Hopefully you'll be able to get this sorted out. I'm a college student as well, and I know the feeling you have right now.

Iegit

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Yeah I was thinking that but I think they charge like a minimum $~80 to run diagnostics on it, so I was seeing if I could pin point the problem here on the forums. I have a suspicion that it's the motherboard that needs to be replaced since the computer turns on but nothing that is plugged into the mobo is responding correctly.

dgfcavs7

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014

Do you have a graphics card installed? If so try taking it out, and using the motherboard's onboard video

Iegit

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Great idea I'll try that when I get home tonight, my Housemate also has a spare computer so I figure I might just start swapping my parts into his comp until I see something not work.