amp going into protection mode

flykenetic

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
my amp keep going into protection mode. i have a dual xdm260, 2 kicker 12s, and an ssl 1000.2 watt amp. 4 guage wires all around. amp cuts out when to much bass hits. any help?

popatim

Titan
We will need to know which amp you have but you are probably overdriving it if it works fine at lower volume.
If you did not install this I would take it back to whoever did and have them rectify the problem. Often there are gain / level controls that need to be properly set.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Without the description of the rest of your electrical system:

Your alternator / battery cannot provide enough current so the amplifier is creating to much heat and shutting down due to thermal

Your alternator / battery cannot provide enough current so the amplifier is going into low voltage protection mode

It appears that you have the Sound Storm SSL Evolution 1000.2 amplifier. it is an a/b amplifier. If you have your subs wired in mono, then you probably have them wired into 2 ohms, which that amplifier will not do. That amplifier will only go down into 4 ohms mono, or 2 ohms stereo.

Solution:
For testing purposes, turn the gain back to 0, then move it up to 1/3 rd

test, if it still shuts down the amplifier:

disconnect the speaker leads and wire them into only one channel, the left or the right.

test, if it still shuts down the amplifier:

get a new battery and a higher output alternator.

* please note that this amplifier is not going to put out anywhere near 1000 watts, The Gain is not a volume knob. The Gain is not a volume knob, also, please note that the Gain is not a volume knob. Never ask an amplifier to do what is it not capable or willing to do.