Sell two ASUS PB278Q and one ASUS PB298Q for two or three ASUS ROG Swift monitors?

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Basically I wanted to get into tri monitor gaming so I bought two PB278Q monitors and was going to buy the third when the PB298Q came out so I bought that. Big mistake

2560x1600p doesn't work well with 2560x1440p in a tri setup with the last ordered monitor in the middle. Plus I have my Sony TV hooked in at 1920x1080 just for movies on the side so its really a 4 monitor hook up, but tri eliminates the Sony.

Now I'm looking at this ROG Swift and the G-sync looks amazing. Right now I'm running two 770's in a SLI, but limited to 2GB of VRAM per card. I'm used to having three monitors so if I had to, I would buy three ROG Swifts to get my tri gaming on and upgrade to a pair of 970's in a SLI.

But these monitors only connect through DP 1.2 and I don't know many GPU's that offer multiple DP 1.2 ports to accomidate three monitors AND I would still want to hook up my Sony to these two GPU's although it can't do G-Sync (that's cool with me).

What is a guy to do. I can't just have 1 ROG Swift and I'll adjust to two, but I would love to have three and still go for the tri gaming across EQUAL resolutions. What would you do in my predicament guys. I'll sell the monitors I have to offset the cost of the ROG's.

Solution

Oh, right, almost forgot about that, lol. I'd go with the 3 Swifts and get 980s for now, because you'll need all the power you can get if you want to reach the maximum settings later.

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Well I'm so used to 27 inch screens that downgrading my monitors size I wouldn't be able to adjust to. My motherboard has a simple SLI setup and not a tri-sli so I may have to be capped at two screens unless I upgrade my motherboard to tri-sli. If I could get two card that has two 1.2 display ports then I'm set. One of the disadvantages I always had was that with 4 screens, I always had to enable SLI but only on two monitors, the other two were disabled which I didn't mind, but it was a pain always closing my browser windows.

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I plan to game on all of these monitors. I want a pure gaming monitor because despite the 3 ASUS monitors, I've been porting my games to my HDTV, despite it being 1920x1080 vs 2560x1440p because it looks better on my Sony. I want pure gaming monitors, but still like my tri setup, but will go to two monitors if I have to. Running in SLI is important to me as well and I know I can only enable SLI on two monitors. Still tri gaming if I can and i'll pay for the proper GPU's to make it happen.

-Lone-

Admirable

Well, I'm not sure how your frame rates are going to be, but you could try it. 3x 1440p is more pixels than a single 4k monitor, and it already takes a very high end PC to run a single 4k monitor 60Hz at ultra. Unless you don't play at ultra, then you could get a playable frame rate like 50+ fps.

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Well it looks like I have two options, sell the three monitors, get two ROG Swift and upgrade my two 770's to two 970's, OR, the same scenario, but 3 ROG Swift monitors and move up to 980's. I really want the 3 monitors, but I two monitors I can deal with.

-Lone-

Admirable

I'd get 3x Swift then and get 980 since the 970 can only go up to 3 way SLI, you can eventually get up to 4x 980s if you feel like you want to go up to the maximum settings in the future.

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
3 monitors, ok great and two 980's since my motherboard only has two slots. My PSU is more than enough to handle. I just have to find two 980's or two 970's and then step them up from evga in 3 months. I just have to make sure that they have multiple display ports if I just go for the 980's. I haven't seen any 980's that have multiple DP ports that are 1.2 :(

-Lone-

Admirable

Well, I don't have gtx 980s, but from what I've seen, they only have 1 DP port, which kinda sucks, my 295x2 has 4x DP 1.2 though if you wanna get that :)

Cronus2099

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yeah, its going to take some searching, but I know what I want to do now. I want three monitors for a tri setup and have to find the cards necessary to obtain that, being 980s. That or get two monitors and two 970's and forgo the surround sound.

-Lone-

Admirable

I'd go tri, duo seems weird. I'd say get my card, but it has recently increased in price again back to $1,000 for one, it was $650 for 1, with 2 of them, you could've had a total of 4 GPUs that can handle 4k ultra with up to 8x DP ports.

-Lone-

Admirable

Oh, right, almost forgot about that, lol. I'd go with the 3 Swifts and get 980s for now, because you'll need all the power you can get if you want to reach the maximum settings later.

Solution

-Lone-

Admirable

No problem, have fun when you get them, can't get more ultimate in gaming other than triple Swifts :D

Hedges

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I'm in your shoes right now!

I got the single GTX 980 G1 and got a second one coming . Currently on the Swift and about to embark on two more swifts powered by the two 980's. Hopefully it'll work! lol