Upgrade path (mobo, CPU) opinions...

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
It's that time for me to upgrade my rig. But as always, I have a hard time going over the eternal question : "would the performance improvement be worth the price paid?"

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1090t, that served me well for the last 4 years, with 8gb of DDR3-1333 and a Radeon HD 7850 2GB. All of this still serves me well, in fact, but I mainly want something to be a little bit more future proof for another 4 years or so, on the CPU front.

My dilema is that I'm torn between switching sides (Intel) or staying with AMD and getting an FX8350. I don't have tons of cash, but if I switch to Intel, I would probably get something like an i5-4460, as it's cheap enough for me, and would have enough cash for a middle-of-the-road mobo, and maybe (not sure yet) 16gb of DDR3-1600 to go with it. Going down the Intel road would cost me about $375, more or less. With 16Gb or RAM thrown in, let's say about $535. (Canadian $)

But, if I go the FX8350 road (my current mobo supports it), not only I can get it for a little less than the i5-4460, I wouldn't have to change the mobo, and that would leave me with maybe a couple bucks to spend on a new gfx card. Just upgrading the CPU would cost me about $200.

Looking at various benchmark, the FX8350 seems very competitive with the i5-4460, especially in multi-threaded tasks. I mainly do gaphic design and creative stuff (video, web, print) as part of my job, and also love to game. I don't need more than 1080p though. But I know the i5 seems to run a bit better for gaming. And is requiring less wattage than the FX8350 or my current CPU.

So... is forking for the intel CPU+mobo worth it? Or would spending less for an FX8350 would be a better investment? I tend to favor switching to intel (as I would recycle my older CPU and mobo in an older case I have lying around and build a rig for my kids), but the idea of spending less by staying with AMD and getting a new GFX card instead is also tempting...

What do you guys think?

I would go with the FX. It will last you for a good while, and you will be able to get a bigger GPU. This will result in a faster system if compared to a system where you have to buy an i5+mobo also.

Also you can overclock the FX to get more performance out of it down the road. You can also get another R9 270 and crossfire it with the 7850 (r9 270 is rebranded 7850) for more performance on a budget.

Also the 8 core might be faster in some multi-core optimised programs compared to the i5.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015

When you say "a good while", is it closer to a year or two, or more than that? I want to invest in something that would last me at least a good three years, maybe four, without feeling like I would need to upgrade again in a year... My current 1090t is still working well, but I feel like it's bottlenecking my system a little bit, for games and when doing HD video-editing and encoding. The FX seems a better choice for video encoding applications according to benchmarks, but the 4460 seems to have better gaming performance by some non-negligible margin.

The most logical choice would probably be for me to go with the FX, but then again, I feel like there's not much future in the AM3+ platform. At least, with LGA1150, I can always fork out some cash and track down a compatible i7 if I feel the 4460 isn't up to the task in a couple of years... I know nothing's entirely "future proof" though.

Something I forgot to mention... I changed my case last month for a NZXT Phantom 410, and right now, the front USB3.0 ports aren't working as my current mobo doesn't have an internal USB3 connector. I can always buy a $20 PCI card for that, but going Intel and buying a new mobo would also give me usable front USB3 ports. And since my current CPU is 125 watts, going Intel would also reduce the strain on my PSU (84 watts).

Seriously, I'm quite torn between the two options. FX8350 + new GPU, or Intel 4460 + new mobo... both scenarios have their pros and cons...

In my opinion both options will be obsolete in 3-4 years. Gaming also is mostly done by the GPU, so whichever cpu you have will do great for current single videocard setups. Maybe a price comparison will help:

Going an i5 with at least an H97 mobo for a future upgrade path and 16 gb ram (all the cheapest options):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($153.66 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $462.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-22 13:06 EST-0500

Going the FX 8350 route cpu+gpu:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($196.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $496.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-22 13:13 EST-0500

You will still have the 'slower' 1333 mhz ram though on this build, but with gaming this doesn't make much difference. The difference in gaming performance though is huge:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1080?vs=1068

Personally I wouldn't upgrade only to get a USB3 motherboard, unless you have some USB3 device that actually utilizes its bandwidth fully.

Latest posts