static wrist pc

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you are careful about discharging any possible static buildup before touching componentry inside the PC, you don't need one. I have been building for years w/o using mine. But technically, you should always use one, yes. It would be hard to come up with one that is as effective as is sold commercially. And they are cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Grounding-Adjustable/dp/B002O6U65W
You might even want to put it around your ankle instead of your wrist to keep your hands free.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Lol.... no. You are suppose to clip it to something grounded, like non-painted metal of your case. Just the mass of the case alone is usually enough to discharge any static. But I usually install the PSU first, make sure the switch is OFF, and plug it into the power receptacle. That way the case is grounded to earth. The idea is to discharge any static your body may build up away from the delicate electronic components.

Xrunner98

Reputable
May 22, 2014
It's really easy. So there are two processes you can go through: Bounding or Grounding, they are both effective. Bounding involves you connecting the wrist strap to a metal part of your case, and in this way, the static between you and the case gets balanced. Grounding involves you connecting the clip to your power supply, plugging your power supply into the outlet, and keeping it OFF. In this way, all your static electricity gets sent straight to the ground. I prefer grounding because it I like knowing that there is NO static left in me, but either method is fine. Also, make sure the strap is on your dominant hand, so the hand you will use for building.

Xrunner98

Reputable
May 22, 2014

it all comes down to preference i guess. It wasnt really too bad for me on my wrist.