Trying to diagnose if i have fried my CPU

Diabolicus

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
1st I thought my pc wouldnt start due to faulty psu, so i replaced (and upgraded) that, the pc still wont start so I bought a new motherboard but still the pc wont start. So now im thinking that it could be the cpu?
Would a fried cpu prevent the motherboard beeps? im hearing nothing from my mobo.
Is it possible that ive blown a PSU and fried a motherboard and processor from normal use (nothing has ever been oc'd)? and if so do you think the ram could also be fried?

Any advice appreciated, this is doing my head in, and ive already spent £275 on parts and express shipping and now im thinking im going to need a new cpu and maybe even ram too..

Wouldn't it be less expensive to let a shop determine what's wrong instead of buying a slew of replacement parts? What did you do that could fry the CPU? Have you tested it outside of the case with only the CPU, one memory module and a monitor connected to the motherboard or a known good GPU? Is there a piezo on your motherboard or did you connect a case speaker to it?

Note that we know absolutely nothing about your components.

Diabolicus

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Sorry I should have provided more details.
The system is an i7 3770k, the original motherboard was an Asus P8Z77-V and has been replaced with an Asus P8Z77-V LX, 32gb of Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mhz, Asus Gtx 680 2gb, SSD (cant remember the brand but it was a decent one in 2012). Corsair Closed loop watercooler.

As for what I was doing to fry it, nothing out of the ordinary just during general daily office work the pc shuts off and dies. Wont come back on at all. No beeps from the mobo speaker, no fans spun nothing. I figured it was most likely a psu or a mobo issue. I was never happy with the PSU the shop put in my custom ordered PC it was not the one i'd asked for but instead some brand that i'd never heard of. So to be honest the idea of upgrading it appealed to me.
I read a guide explaining how to test a psu using a paperclip in the green black pins of the 24 pin connector, I tried this and it resulted in a puff of grey smoke. I immediately switched it off and binned it. I ordered a nice xfx 1050w pro psu and thought that would be the end of it.
Installed the new PSU in the case easily enough, switched it on and nothing, except for a few of the fans spin for a half second then stop. (one of the 2 watercooler radiator fans spins, the front fan lights and spins, and the PSu fan also spins momentarily and there is a green light on the motherboard, and 2 green lights on the graphics card that stay lit).
I went through the stickied checklist several times, and reassembled the components one by one outside of the case on a wooden board. But still no matter how little or much was connected I got nothing different.
At this point I ordered a replacement like for like motherboard thinking that this could be the most likely culprit. I installed the new motherboard and all the components into the case. I didn't test them one by one I was sure this would work. After carefully installing everything by the book I switched it on to find it exactly the same as before same fans spin for half a second then nothing. I disconnected everything and tried adding things one by one, tried with both 1 and none of the ram modules and tried in different slots. Ive tried with the graphics card installed and with out but still nothing changes. I get a green light on the motherboard 2 green light on the gpu and all the same fans spinning lighting up for a half second. Pretty much the same as before.
So now im thinking that I've been very unlucky and somehow managed to fry psu, mobo and cpu. Or maybe the replacement psu or mobo are faulty I cant rule this out. Or maybe the original mobo is fine, the replacment mobo is fine and the CPU is the faulty component. But surely if the mobo was ok I would at least get a beep from the mobo speaker?
If the cpu is fried and that is what is preventing post/boot and I need a new one then i will want to upgrade to a newer generation i7 and board and maybe RAM too as I dont yet know if my RAM is still ok, or if any new motherboard would need DDR4.

This PC has had heavy use and was on all day every day for work and for hours on end at night gaming, its been on average 15 hours per day daily for 2 years. I guess what im wondering is whether it is unusual for several components to fail at once.

Before buying a new CPU, I'd have it tested by a shop. I have systems running 24 hours a day and they don't fail even after several years; 2 years is a very short time for a system that should run fine for 10 years unless you overclocked it.

Diabolicus

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I do use the ASUS gpu boost software to o/c the GPU for a little while only whilst FPS gaming but other than that no oc'ing. I've never oc'd the cpu.
I tried my local shop when the replacement PSU didnt solve it, they are mad busy and cant take my pc in until the end of next week at the earliest. I wanted this sorted out sooner than that. So I guess tomorrow i'll have to try and find someone who will call out to me, or failing that I may have to take it to PC World, although im sure they wont be able to look at it there and then and the thought of leaving my pc there gives me cold shivers...