[HELP] 4k Display Scaling

DJShafman

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Hello everybody
So... I went and got myself a 4k display laptop. I immediately realized that this was a bad idea. I downloaded the battle.net launcher, only to find that it does not scale properly and I had to squint to read the text. Same goes for the logitech software I downloaded immediately after. Steam doubles the pixels, but at least it's readable!
My main point is, since 4k is exactly 2x 1080p, could I just make the 4K display somehow 'double up' on pixels used and convert into a 1080p display being used constantly without windows horribly placing everything out of scale by enlarging all the folders etc? Or can I somehow fix all those applications which do not scale at all (by using some sort of external application perhaps)? This has been a real nightmare, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

A couple things that may help you:
1) Right the desktop -> Personalize -> Display -> adjust the size of icons and text.
2) Ctrl-mouse wheel up - will increase the size of text in many programs and all browsers I'm aware of.

Scaling does not appear to work that way on any monitor I've heard of that was tested. You'll get normal scaling issues you are used to, but may still be fine with it for gaming, probably less so for the desktop and text based things.

DJShafman

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah, the text-based apps are the things I am concerned about mainly (such as battlenet, mouse macro software, glyph for that matter! Is there any way to scale those using some external program? I heard it was possible in the past with programs like 'scaler' or suchlike, but is there a way now? (Ctrl + mousewheel doesn't work for applications mentioned above). Thanks!

DJShafman

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

I was hoping for a way to make those text-based apps scale properly using an external program, as mentioned previously. There are programs like that, just none for 4k that i've heard...