If I were to use DBAN, would Windows 7 be deleted along with the formatting of the drive?

atrusion

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
My parents bought a new laptop, which means I get the old one (yay!). I want to wipe the disk because it's full of adware and programs I won't use (they were all installed because my family doesn't read the damn installation notes; they spam the "Next" button like there's no tomorrow). From what I've seen, DBAN (definition on the bottom) is my best option for doing such thing. Yes, I could manually delete folders but there's literally hundreds of folders and programs I won't use. I know there are programs that delete multiple programs but I'm looking for hard drive wiping.

What is DBAN?

DBAN is free erasure software designed for the home user. It automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect. This method can help prevent identity theft before recycling a computer. DBAN is also a commonly used solution to remove viruses and spyware from Microsoft Windows installations.

My logic is: if I were to format the C drive and the C drive contains the 'Windows' folder, wouldn't it (Windows) be wiped too? Along with other vital Folders? I also think that if I delete the Windows folder from within Windows the almighty Bill Gates will punish me, or that it's simply not possible so DBAN won't work.

Easy-to-Read→Easy-to-Help Format

• - Will DBAN allow me to wipe my disk without Windows being deleted (along with other vital folders?)
    - Do I need to boot from a flash drive to use this program?
    - If this really does wipe the Windows folder, what is the alternative? What other "Data Destructing Software" can I use that won't delete the Windows folder (along with other vital folders) but can delete massive amounts of data?

Extra notes: I don't want to delete the Windows folder because the Windows Installation disk was lost and I'm not even sure I can use the same disk twice...

I apologize for the bad formatting

Your quote of what DBAN does includes the answer: DBAN will completely erase the hard drive, so Windows installation will go as well.

If you want to start fresh with this laptop, you have two options:
- create recovery media, and start fresh (providing that the option to create recovery is still available)
- buy new Windows license, and also start fresh
- (yes, third option) Check with your laptop' manufacturer whether there is an option during startup to start recovery by booting off a hidden partition