An appeal to lift GRAPES censorship of News & Leisure

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a major catastrophic event happens we should be allowed to share it for no other reason than to express our condolences!

As an X moderator I know how important enforcing the rules are better than most but it seems the new GRAPES policy is IMO extreme censorship.

Gropouce has a right to express his feelings about what happened in his country and I really didn't see any lines crossed that couldn't have been accepted for such a horrible situation, to have closed that post.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2468556/attack-newspaper-office-paris.html

What if the US has another 9/11 or similar, and we cannot share with each other.

Joe, Please reconsider this GRAPES policy.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Discussion of news and events is fine and entirely welcome within the community. But discussion of politics or religion is not within the constraints of this technical forum.

Users may talk about events and news, and express condolences most assuredly - those subjects do not fall within the confines of GRAPES as prohibited areas of discussion (which invariably devolve into personal insults). In this case, the thread may have been closed prematurely in an effort to head off what looked like was about to become a heated political or religious discussion. In the future, these types of threads may continue, provided the original poster or on duty moderator is available to keep the thread from devolving by providing corrective guidance to prevent discussion being steered to GRAPES subjects rather than current news. Are the issues related? Certainly. But a tech forum is not the appropriate venue for dissembling or debate.

-JP

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Even if i disagree with GRAPES, i try to respect it.

That's why i tried to guide the thread about what happened in my country with precise questions:
What do you think ?
Can satirical newspaper talk about anything ?
Do you think they have to censor themselves to not offend the different sensibilities ?

I may be wrong, but i though it was respectful with GRAPES.
I mean, we should have talk about this and try to find answers... and what needed to be moderated would have been moderated... no ?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I agree with you 100% what you want and what we deserve in free speech here in this forum.Hopefully the owner will to.

I understand Joe, there are things that happen world wide we all need to be able to share condolences with each other maybe next time the thread will hopefully stay on track.

Thank You!

@Gropouce, My condolences to you and your country my friend! Ry

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What happened in your country was pathetic and horrendous and you should have voiced your opinion no matter what. You were not wrong at all my friend.

Thank You Joe!

It is nice to know we can express condolences with those of other countries that are experiencing tragedies like this that we have come to know through Toms and feel like they're our friends. We all have differences across this world and one thing nice about how News & Leisure used to be was discovering how some subjects were viewed by those of other countries!

I know Toms is a technology based forum and I spend the majority of my time here invested in covering that, but it is nice sometimes to occasionally be able to just talk with others you've grown to respect about whatever.

Thanks Again for your consideration, and have a wonderful day! Ry

Whatever you guys want, I'm in favor of it. In the spirit of democracy, let's vote! Can you add a poll, Ryan?

Cockroaches are cockroaches. Have been and will always be. In lieu of suppressing the propaganda, ignorance, HATE! and trolling, I prefer calling it out ...

... but to each their own. It's the current THG prerogative and their bandwidth, thereby their right to handle it as they wish.

If we don't like it, we can track Joe down, drink all his refreshing beverages, and tickle him until he caves....

And, when the propaganda, pejoratives and profanity return again to an unacceptable level, the GRAPES will re-cycle.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It is about time we lift this once and for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.