Monitor advice for new HTPC-ish build

burma_shave

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
It is finally time for me to replace my aging desktop system (24" display for Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6400) and would like some advice. I use this system both as desktop computer (25 inch viewing distance) and as my TV (11 foot viewing distance) and I need to ability to switch between a home and work computer (currently DVI KVM). I am not a gamer - uses would be document and photo editing and movie viewing.

I would like to go larger and higher resolution on my monitor, however I am not sure 4K is mature enough in the market. There does not seem to be KVM or dual input option that would allow me two sources at 4k 60Hz. So, I was thinking the ~256x1440 monitors might be a better choice.

Any thoughts if 27", 30", or 32" would be best or specific favorite models? I have a flexible budget, but was targeting around $500-700. Or should I go for 4k?

Would one of the forthcoming Core i5-5250U processors with Intel HD 6000 integrated graphics (maybe NUC system) be sufficient for these graphic needs?

Thank you for your advice.

burma_shave

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Maybe a better questions is.... are there any 28" to 32" hi res displays that would allow me to connect two computer and toggle between them (without a KVM). It seems there are not really good KVM options yet that support 2560+ resolution at 60 Hz.