ga 990fxa ud3 rev 4 wierd post?

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I have purchased this mobo last month.during every post i see only date/time , bios version(f2) and "press del or f2 to enter bios".please someone tell me if this is normal for this mobo.
I saw something really odd today upon starting my pc on..the "press del or F2 to enter bios" shows twice!! any clues why this happened?

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I was expecting to see cpu model, amount of ram, ram speed u know..i upgraded from an asus m5a78l-le so i was a little curious...so your mobo post like this as well?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

No, mine showed the CPU. RAM, etc that you mentioned. Have you tried a CMOS jumper BIOS reset? Or at least try loading default settings while in BIOS?

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
No, mine showed the CPU. RAM, etc that you mentioned. Have you tried a CMOS jumper BIOS reset? Or at least try loading default settings while in BIOS?[/quotemsg]

I just did a cmos jumper bios reset and still posts like this...
i loaded many times the default settings during the last weeks..
it keep posts with only date/time,version of bios and 2 rows with the same "press del or F2 to enter setup"..do u have anything else i mind?

i also have send the mobo back for testing to the shop i bought it and they said it has nothing!!
do i trust them or not?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's really odd. Was the board used or new when you got it? I was wondering if the shop replaced a dead BIOS chip with the wrong one. Just grasping at straws here... I'm really stumped why it would be like that with an official BIOS firmware download.

If it doesn't affect the normal use of the board, you'll have to make a decision whether or not to RMA it over that defect.

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
The motherboard was new...except if they sold it for "new". i really can't know it.
The real problem is that i get too many random restarts...no overheat, no overclock, just default settings.
i've send the mobo alone to the shop for testing-they said it's ok.
i've send whole pc-same thing.
i've tested everything from ram to psu and from drivers to new windows installation..
thats why i wanted to know from someone who had the same mobo how it posts....
I think they messing with me..and i already paid for service!!!
I'm gonna call them again,now with proofs..

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
let me tell you my setup:
FX 8320 stock
asus r9 280x dc2t 3gb
corsair cx600w 80plus
xigmatek aegis cooler
kingston 8gb ddr3 ram 1600
crucial m500 ssd
ga-990fxa ud3 rev 4 (the only thing i changed.previously i had asus m5a78l-le)

didn't have any problem at all until i changed the mobo.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you didn't have any problems until you changed the MB, that would make me suspect the board too. The glitch in the POST screen adds to the suspicion. The screen display at boot is hard coded in BIOS. It should display the same lines of text on every board based on what it finds for hardware.

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I've send the motherboard for RMA...now i'm with the old Asus m5a78l-le and everything is back to normal.

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Today i got the replacement for the motherboard..no random restarts yet.
But the way that the motherboard posts remains...

today i got another restart..i've send the mobo again for RMA..dont think i will get the same model again.
I will change and go for the asus sabertooth 990fx R2

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Did you also had the rev 4.0 model?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yep. And none of the issues you found with yours. That's why I'm so stumped.

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I contacted Gigabyte tech support and they didnt seem to know why this is happening.They told me to adress the issue to my supplier.
My supplier on the other hand didnt find any problems (!!!) and i asked them not to replace the MB but to purchace something else with the money.
I think im stuck in a loop..-sigh-
Anyway, at least i have solid proofs from many owners that indeed there is a problem with bios or manufacturing flaud.
Thank you again for your answers.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you bought this from an individual or from a local dealer, it might be possible that the original board had had its BIOS chip replaced with an incorrect one. And when it went into the Gigabyte service center for RMA, they didn't do a very good job of checking it out to notice it. Maybe they just booted it up and said, "yep, it's OK".

geovas

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Got a new sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and everuthing is in order now.Guess it was some sort of incompatibility with the ram sticks as it didnt let me to run them at 1.65v as it should.
Anyway thank you for your contribution.