Need Help Choosing Monitor (5ms 60hz vs 1ms 144hz)

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
So I am currently upgrading my graphics card from a single EVGA GTX 2GB 480 2GB to dual Gigabyte GeForce 4GB 970's. Since I'm doing that, I figured I should upgrade my old 7 yard old 1080 5ms 24 inch monitor to something more modern. I was looking at this one http:// but one of my friends pointed out that it only has a 60hz refresh rate and 5ms GTG response time. He suggested I get the ROG Swift http:// instead, which has G-Synce technology, is 144hz, and has a 1ms response time. My question is, is it really worth the extra $350?

Solution
You can enable v-sync to prevent any tearing.
If you are not worried about FPS games too much, you will find these other monitors look better than the ROG Swift.
Refresh rate on the Asus is 60 Hz, not 89 Hz.
The ROG Swift is probably the best gaming monitor on the market at the moment. It has good colour reproduction for a TN panel. The refresh rate and response time mean reduced ghosting and image blur in fast paced shooters, etc.

Most other screen of this size and resolution are IPS type panels (PLS and AHVA are equivalent) or there are some starting to appear that are AMVA.
The IPS panels generally have better colour but some glow in the corners when viewing a dark image.
The AMVA panels have colour almost as good as IPS, without the glow and with much higher static contrast levels than IPS or TN (dynamic contrast ratios like 20,000,000:1 mean nothing, static contrast is about 1000:1 for IPS or TN and 3000:1 for AMVA).
What none of these monitors can do is match the ROG Swift for responsiveness.

It comes down to what you want to do with the screen. I would suggest reading a detailed review on www.tftcentral.co.uk.
The ROG Swift has only a single DisplayPort input and it won't work with a switcher, so not really suitable to connect up a second PC.
Between the other monitors to you have to look at features like built-in speakers if you want these.
Some other models you might want to look at:
BenQ BL3200PT
Dell U2713HM

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

I mainly use my computer for programming, gaming, and video editing. I don't play FPS's that much anymore and when I do, I don't play super competitively. I do however want my games to play super smoothly and look as good as I can make them. So I guess I am asking if I will have any tearing and jerking issues with a 5ms/60hz monitor or if it will be such a noticeable difference upgrading to the rog swift that it's worth the extra $350.