Can a server engineer be a full time position?

Lukas Keizer

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi! I've been wondering this for a while. I'm a senior in high school, and I already know what degree I'm going for, but maintaining servers seems like something I would like, unless its contract work, I wouldnt wanna do that. Does anyone know whether it could be either or not?

Solution

Yes, System Administration can be a lucrative full time position. It's not usually something pursued through a degree program though as certifications tend to be more valuable to employers.

MetalSparks

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
It's all about finding the right people and company - but yes, it's definitely possible.
For example, you could take your degree and resume to Google and try to get hired there, or build your own server in a country where the cost of electricity is cheap and WiFi is fast and do what you'd want with your own server.

Best of luck!

MetalSparks

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Of course. I'm sure that Google hires server engineers to work full time making sure that their servers stay up 24/7 rather than hiring engineers on a week-by-week basis. Regardless of whether it's Google's search-engine or YouTube facility, there will always be a few engineers on site in case of emergencies.

Another example would be Amazon servers. ...not just their online store servers, but their AWS Cloud Computing Services. They build servers and then rent them out to buyers who pay for hourly uses, and they wouldn't be able to keep all of those servers running without the help of maintenance and repair engineers.

Yes, System Administration can be a lucrative full time position. It's not usually something pursued through a degree program though as certifications tend to be more valuable to employers.

Solution