Is a graphics card helpful if I don’t play games or do graphics-intensive work?

mfreshna

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I'm building a new computer, and I will be doing a lot of compiling and testing greedy non-graphical (server) applications on it, so performance is very important to me. However, I don’t play computer games, do video editing, or do anything that requires graphics-intensive work. About the only thing I would do in this regard is watch Youtube videos. I’ve read several articles on the web that say a graphics card is unnecessary if you have an integrated graphics on my motherboard. My question, however, is would a graphics card be helpful toward performance, and if so, would it be helpful enough to justify buying one? As I understand, I can get away without having a graphics card, but I want to get an idea of the performance hit I will take. A lot? Trivial? As I understand, if I didn’t use a graphics card, the motherboard would have to use resources that it otherwise could have delegated to the graphics card. (As a side note, I was planning on buying the ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ac ATX LGA1150 motherboard.)

Benab3

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
If you are doing nothing at all graphically intensive I would not buy a card, and if you did want to I would get a fairly cheap one. If the most graphically intensive thing you are going to do is watch YouTube then the integrated graphics will be more than enough.