Handbrake oriented build - Intel i7? Intel i5 AMD FX options?

cromanos

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I'm looking to build a new rig oriented mostly towards video encoding with Handbrake. Currently running an AMD Athlon II x4 635, so I know that pretty much anything will be an improvement, but I'm looking for the best solution I can find.

The build will include CPU, Mobo and RAM - I'm reusing case, PSU (EVGA 500B), and SSD/HD/DVD/BD drives.

Budget is in the $400-$500 range, but flexible for the right solution.

I know that the intel chips have been blowing the doors of the AMD offerings in handbrake world, so I'm initially looking to build around an i7-4790k CPU, but am open to other suggestions as well.

I've been looking at the i7-5820, but haven't seen any handbrake benchmarks on it, and not sure that the increased cost of the package (Z99 mobo vs Z97, DDR4 vs DDR3, lack of processor graphics) is worth the speed boost, however, handbrake LOVES cores - the more the better, which is why I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks in advance,

- CMR

cromanos

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
oops, spoke too soon, found something over at anandtech - looks like cores help for UHD video significantly more than they do for SD video.

DubbleClick

Admirable
The I7 5820k will definitely give you an improvement over the I7 4790k, especially when you apply a mild overclock of 4ghz. However, I'd say it isn't worth the extra cost (and it would require an aftermarket cooler) and doesn't fit in the budget anyway.

The I7 4790k with a $110 z97 board (gigabyte z97x-ud3h or sli just fit in that range) will cost you $420 which leaves enough for 8gb of ram.

The $360 I7 5820k with a $200 board, $120 for 8gb ddr4 and a $30 aftermarket cooler are a little out of budget, I think.

cromanos

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks - that's consistent with what I found as well.

After looking at some handbrake-specific benchmarks, to my surprise, I ended up actually ditching the i7 and going with an i5-4690k and an ASROCK Z97Pro4 mobo. MicroCenter had deals going and I ended up going out the door for about $360 with RAM.

For my application, hyperthreading doesn't really help, since all physical cores would be driven at 100% anyway.

I'll run some testing of my own and see what it looks like - I've got 14 days to return if I want, even opened!