Monitor Flicker issue

Rauf94

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
My monitor started flickering today, I immediately unplugged he monitor cable leaving the pc turned on and then when I plugged it back in the problem remained. I then restarted the PC which solved the issue.
I want to know if its my GPU or my monitor which is causing the issue and how to check for it. I didn't do any updates to the drivers so I don't know what is wrong.
I have an Asus R9-280x GPU and an HP 2311f monitor.
1 more thing is that there are power outages where I live so maybe thats the problem. Any Help guys???

The 280x sometimes has flicker problems because the vddc voltage in 2d mode isn't enough. Fix is usually a video card bios update. Does it game fine?

Edit: You can try the new bios from Asus.
http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Graphics_Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/HelpDesk_Download/

Rauf94

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Ummm, it never happened to me before the last 6-7 months that ive been using the card. it happened today. i did notice that the past two days when playing cs-go, the game freezed for 1 sec and this happened two to three times in the past few days, also I played Tomb Raider for an hour and it worked flawlessly with everything on ultra

Ok so i installed the update and it says "Your graphic card no need to update VBIOS!"

Ok, let's try something to see if what I am thinking is the problem.

Download msi afterburner .
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Instill and run.
Once running click settings.
In the general tab in settings
Check these boxes.
Extend Official overclocking limits.
disable ULPS
Unofficial overclocking mode, select without powerPlay support.
Click ok and it will want you to restart computer, then relaunch msi afterburner.

Now you are back in MSI afterburner, change your core clock up or down 10(it just has to be different).
Hit apply, in the monitor to the right core clock should now be running at what you set it at.
Hit Save and save it to profile 1.
Check the apply overclocking at system startup box.

This will keep your video card in 3d mode 100% of the time. Which means it won't be saving power or heat. This will tell us if it's the whole 2d clock problem.

Rauf94

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Thank you for the quick replies. I greatly appreciate it. I have changed the settings like you suggested and will update the post if all goes well, or doesn't for that matter =D.
Okay so one more thing, could this be due to my power supply?
I running an i7-2600 with 16gb ram and the 280x direct cu2. Im currently running the system on a ups