ASUS P8P67 EVO CPU LED RED!!! i5 2500K

cmorgannn1996

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Hello, today I took my Gaming pc apart for a quick clean up, took everything out and cleaned it all, reapplied heat sink to the cpu (i5 2500k) but it was silicone based and made by silmore? anybody heard of this? I think it comes stock with some motherboards? I also inserted the ram in the wrong way but it wasnt pushed all the way ofc as it wont fit! but when i turned it on after not realising i smelt a slight fried burnt smell, turned it off, put the ram back in the right way, turned it back on and now i have the cpu light staying on red, no bios, wont let me reset with the button only lets me hold down the power button to turn off thats on the mobo, What would the problem be? fried mobo or fried cpu? hmmm

set up is as follows
Asus P8P67 EVO REV 1.03
Nvidia GTX 580
Coolmaster 750w PSU
i5 2500k?

cmorgannn1996

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
CPU_Heat_Sink.jpg

This is what i used I did check online to see if anyone had used it, and people said it was usable!

I can't see anything in that tiny picture.

The CPU probably isn't burnt out. There are measures the motherboard uses to prevent the CPU frying. It will just turn the PC off.

Where did the burnt smell come from? You could have had a capacitor fail on the motherboard maybe.

cmorgannn1996

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

Look up silmore thermal compound! and yes but surely it would still boot to bios? and yeah, seems like it was near the ram ports, r20 maybe? or similar, the dram writing is slightly yellow too, maybe it has a burnt capacitor like you say?

cmorgannn1996

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Its running it...the motherboard runs everything else but the cpu, so no video, but ts all on and going..found the problem, resistor has fried, how do i fix this and read the thread its an asus p867 evo and 12gb corsair xms3 ddr3 1666mhz

cmorgannn1996

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Yes i know that, and i dont know, how do i add an image all its giving me is add URL? I will post them if i know how as i have pictures