Chrome OS for a student laptop?

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
Hi guys,

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop for school and travel, so basic stuff like web browsing and schoolwork, and I found the ASUS Chromebook here (the 4GB RAM 32GB SSD model) for $259. Based on the laptops I've seen this looked like a great deal. Then I saw that it was ChromeOS not Windows 8. Since all the computers at my school are Windows, and I have a Windows desktop, will this laptop be a pain to use? What are your thoughts on the ChromeOS?

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I can't find anyone selling this in NZ or shipping to NZ so if you can find it or suggest an alternative it would be very much appreciated

ChromeOS is good from some people, especially for just a casual user who wants to type simple documents and internet activities. Its WAY more simple than Windows 8, sort of like Android in that it is Linux based with an App store provided by google. ChromeOS comes with GoogleDocs and will open all of your MSOffice documents and PDF. They also have youtube and netflix support. If you are comfortable using Android you will be just fine with ChromeOS.

I own a chromebook, acer c720, but run ArchLinux instead of chromeOS. You can put any Linux distrobution on these with a little effort. This way I am able to run R, MATLAB and other [real] software wherever I go!

The acer c720 model is really popular and many times you can find good deals on refurbished models. Its hard to beat these little machines for portability and price. I got a refurbished model for $120!

BTW the c720 has a better processor (haswell) than the asus model you listed (bay trial). The newest generation will have (broadwell) which will be even better. The processor in the c720 is (celeron 2955U).
Haswell and newer architectures have WAY better batter life than the previous generation

ChromeOS laptop is a breast buy if all you do is a web browser, or Google docs.Check with your school, and the classes you intent to take. Some of them might require installation of an application which is not web based.

ebpollock

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I like my chromebook. It has been a good purchase. That said, you really need to understand the limitations if you're going to use this for work or school. Java does not run on a chromebook. MS office can only be used through the web interface which is fine for typing a paper but does not have as many formatting options. If you don't want any headaches get a windows laptop. They are just as cheap now that MS is offering 8.1 with Bing. Chrome machines make a great second system that is secure and always uptodate but I would not ever rely on one as my primary computer.

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
According to this Lifehacker article (http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343) I can install Ubuntu and switch between that and ChromeOS with the push of a button. Do you think with both of these I will be able to use it without problems in conjunction with my windows PC?

P.S. ebpollock, please link me these cheap windows laptops

Yeah Crouton works pretty well actually. The only thing to remember is that it shares HDD space with ChromeOS. My c720 was a 16GB model so I couldn't afford any wasted space for ChromeOS.

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

Is it possible to upgrade the hard drive on this model (Toshiba CB35-B3340)? Also I have a 64GB USB flash drive with ~250mbps that I'm going to use with the laptop, could I use that?

Edit: or this

ebpollock

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I have Ubuntu installed as well. I'm running into more issues than a regular ubuntu install as Chrome OS does not use the entire linux kernel so some pieces are missing, like Wacom tablet drivers.

here is a link to the HP stream. I have the HP 14 chrome book and like it.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Laptop-Personal-Horizon/dp/B00O65HZKS/ref=sr_du_2_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1422630116&sr=8-2

I don't like that the ssd in the HPs is really hard to upgrade. you have to take everything apart.

and here is a review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8784/hp-stream-11-review-a-new-take-on-low-cost-computing
hope that helps

Its possible to upgrade the SDD, but not recommended. No guaruntee it will actually work. Will also void any warranty.

Alternatively many of these chromebooks support USB3.0 and have external SD card slot. I have my /home partition sitting on an SD card.

HP stream 11 has junk processor (Intel Celeron N2840 (Bay Trail-M)) If you are buying a new laptop you will want Haswell or (newer) (broadwell). This is why the c720 is so damn popular. Super cheap and great hardware. There is even an i3 version:
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C720-3404-11-6-Inch-Chromebook-Granite/dp/B00KOUIZBC

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

What about using this?

Also what is the best OS I can get for windows compatibility?

DelTacoWaco

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

I have a windows PC and my school uses windows so I'm looking for something with Office, skype etc, so it can do most of the things a windows computer can do.