Future proofing GPU's DP and HDMI for 4K 120Hz, 4K 60Hz gaming experience.

legokangpalla

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi, I've decided on a single GTX 980 for my build when I saw another great local deal and is considering getting another one for SLI.

I am curious about the adapter in the GPU and it being obsolate when the new DisplayPort and HDMI standards come out. Currently, there are 4K 60Hz monitors available achieved via dual DP connections. Now the new DisplayPort standard should support 120Hz refresh rate on 4k monitors-if they support it.

As I've seen few panels in panelooks that are both 4K and have refresh rate of 120Hz, I think it's just a matter of LCD panel controller for the 120Hz 4k Monitors to hit the market.

What I'm afraid of is buying two GTX 980s, but being locked at 4k 60Hz because of the previous generation ports. Logic dictates just like the dual DP in some 4K monitors, it would be also plausible for quad DP 4k 120Hz monitors.

On the same note, I would like to also know what is it like to game on 4K 60Hz? I don't play competitive games anymore-too stressful and I'm doing thesis and working. I just play single player sandbox games like Space Engineers, FNV, and Skyrim.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
I currently own a gtx 670 4gb in sli and skipping the gtx 9xx series all together. from reading your post u should just do the same, especially when a new standard is coming out in new nvidia generation ( possibly a new naming as well) just so u remove ur mind from doubt completely, it will be a huge regret if u bought two gtx 980 only to find out few months down the line that its not about the monitor input but about the graphic card not having the new display port and HDMI standard, its always a rule of thump not to buy the latest line of product that contains a well established standard ( USB 2.0, HDMI, current Display port) when u know or quite certain that the newer standard is going to be implemented after 6 to 12 months, for...

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I currently own a gtx 670 4gb in sli and skipping the gtx 9xx series all together. from reading your post u should just do the same, especially when a new standard is coming out in new nvidia generation ( possibly a new naming as well) just so u remove ur mind from doubt completely, it will be a huge regret if u bought two gtx 980 only to find out few months down the line that its not about the monitor input but about the graphic card not having the new display port and HDMI standard, its always a rule of thump not to buy the latest line of product that contains a well established standard ( USB 2.0, HDMI, current Display port) when u know or quite certain that the newer standard is going to be implemented after 6 to 12 months, for example I know folks who own gtx 580s and are only deciding to upgrade in the upcoming re-naming of the gtx line.
as for gaming on 4k, its like looking outside your window, its so crisp and clear but from what I read of 4k gamers its not as big of a jump as say from 1080p to 1600p or 1440p, u can`t really see more details than 1600p especially in old games, but everything will look super crisp and more natural, not worth all the performance it`s asking for if you ask me.
also 4k would look awesome of space games, but in order to utilize all the real estate, monitor size would be at least 32 inch to use the monitor without scaling up windows font.

Solution

Exvar

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I got a 3D 55" LG 4k screen last august to enjoy my xfire oc 7970 and it was really shocking to find this 30 fps limit due to the HDMI 1.4

I noticed AMD improved its drivers and now most games reach 30fps on 4k. Previous drivers didn't even try, so only games like Paradise City, Saints Row 4 and very few others 4k "ready" reached 30 fps.

The big news is that promate.com.cn is releasing a DP1.2 to HDMI2.0 IC adapter in March! part is
PS176.

I will try to get the adapter from them and let everybody know how the experience goes, if anyone around here grabs one first, please post whether it works and then how we could get one.