Best Bang For Buck Build for Twitch Streaming

Insidejoke

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
I'm getting ready to be launching a Twitch Stream channel here in the next month or so and I'm looking to finalize the hardware side of things. I've been researching a lot of the options available to me and I just need some final input before I pull the trigger on the system(s).
The system I have now runs just about everything I play at 1080 with decent-good settings. So on the playing side of things, anything is going to be an upgrade for this. I am not opposed to buying used, I am also not opposed to waiting for deals. There are even times I've considered making a 2 hour drive to a Microcenter for some deals if they pop up.

It seems like I'm down to essentially two options.
Option 1) 2 PC Set up with a dedicated streaming machine(Capture card or NGIX)
Option 2) All inclusive set up

Each option has its pros and cons

Goal:Streaming at 720@30FPS
Budget: $600-$700(I would obviously prefer to spend less, if I can.)
Overclocking: No
Games Played: MOBAs, MMOs, few indie titles, and upcoming Star Citizen.

Current System
-CPU: Intel Celeron G1620
-RAM: 4GB DD3
-MOBO: Foxconn H61S
-GPU: Radeon HD 6570 2GB

Upgrading Above
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Foxconn H61S Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $354.97

This option is probably the cheapest. And seems like it might be the best bang for my buck. Leaves additional money for a new GPU if needed. Only thing lost is the ability to use a 2nd PC for any co-op if friends come over without a laptop. But even with the budget I have, I could use the additional funds to build another cheap gaming rig with a G3220.

New All-Inclusive
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250 1GB Video Card ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($31.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $597.81

This would give me a nice, fresh start for a PC. All inclusive and gives me a back up PC to use for friends/whatever.

2 PC Streaming Set-up
This is where I'm starting to fall short on hardware parts. Since I don't play anything super modern and the only thing coming out that would probably is the Star Citizen. I could get away with running a G3220 or an i3 in the gaming computer and use something like an i5 to get an acceptable quality stream at 720@30fps. As the load would be off the gaming CPU. I've even half-looked at the AMD options, but it seems like the i5 in a dedicated streaming would probably still out-perform an AMD 6-8 core CPU.
Because there is also the option of grabbing one of the Avermedia, Elgato, Hauppauge, and using one of those to do all the encoding and doing a budget upgrade.

It probably looks like I have a lot of this already laid out. But I'm looking for advice on the builds above or even different options for specs, ect.
And then I've seen this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9601840&Sku=B69-00481
Which would probably be perfectly fine for a dedicated streaming machine. And since I randomly have GCs to TC from my job. After rebate that system, and GCs that system would be sub 200 for me.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Those PSUs are horrible, don't use them. Get a decent 500w - 600w psu. It's also much better to get modern hardware. Other than that, looks good for what you are wanting to do. Know that you may have a problem with Star Citizen and that GPU.

Insidejoke

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
What PSUs? There are two of them listed.
Why go that overboard on the PSU? I know watts isn't everything. But neither system should push over an estimated 250w.
The GPU I know will probably need to be upgraded for Star Citizen. But the actually release for that isn't for another year or so off. As for the modern hardware, it might be more beneficial to upgrade into Skylake instead of making the jump now into Haswell now with Skylake being out either late this year or next year.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

H and Z97 boards are compatible with both Intel's current generation of CPUs and the next set they are releasing. Both the PSUs you listed are kinda weak. I say 500-600 watts because if you ever upgrade to a decent card, you won't have to buy a brand new one. Also, below 500w, PSUs tend to be VERY poor quality. If you went with, say, a Haswell Xeon, a H97 and seasonic PSU, you won't need to replace everything when you upgrade.

Insidejoke

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
That I did not know about the boards. Thanks for the information. I posted this a few other places and pretty much all I would get is a parts list with no explanation of anything.
The graphics card is the biggest issue I have on dropping money on at the moment. Just due to the fact Star Citizen is still at least a year and a half or so out at best guess. And who knows what options I'll have then to put the money into. Considering the card I have now, or can upgrade into will run what I'm playing just fine. So it would make more sense to use that money into going into a Haswell and then a GPU when Star Citizen gets its specs more lined out.
Just need to find a decent mini-ITX board.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

An i3/i5/i7 3xxx won't run on an H97 motherboard, it is a different socket, so the Haswell is a better option. Also, I'm not saying you have to get the GPU now, but getting a good power supply means you won't have to shell out a bunch more money later on (and throw out the old power supply, which is just money down the drain). Your GPU should be fine for now, but I would recommend going with the stuff I suggested.

Insidejoke

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Right. I meant by looking for the H97 board for a Xeon. I'm frugal so I'm try to find the best deals for things where I can.
I really appreciate the advice and input.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

No problem, glad I could help.

Fitzitz

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

No problem, glad I could help.