Black screen when booting up new computer

xjustin357

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
Hellooo I'm pretty noob at this but I built my first computer, successfully put everything together, and it turns on aye o kayyy. It turns on and the fans start spinning and it looks like it's working but there's nothing but a black screen on the monitor. When I wait for around 20-30 seconds, that's when the graphics card (GTX 970) fans stop spinning for some reason. And I don't know if it's me or not, but I hear a very faint sound of like a power going out or something. I don't know if I messed up with the cords for the power supply or what not. I also plugged in the monitor into the motherboard and not the GPU.. would that result in the computer not working?
I'm not home so I can't test it out right now.

If anyone can help me, that'd be great
Thanks

Solution
Nice parts (although I would have gone with 2x4GB RAM for dual-channel mode). Try using the integrated video to install the OS and drivers (attach the monitor to the motherboard). Once that is working, install the graphics card (attach the monitor to the card).
Remove the graphics card. Attach the monitor to the motherboard. Power up. If it works, install your OS and all of your drivers. When done, then install the graphics card, then install its drivers.
It may be normal for your GTX970 to turn off its fans when the card is idle and not hot.
Please provide your full system specs, including the brand and model (not just wattage) of your PSU.

xjustin357

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card
Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3300-BL ATX Mid Tower Case
XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Nice parts (although I would have gone with 2x4GB RAM for dual-channel mode). Try using the integrated video to install the OS and drivers (attach the monitor to the motherboard). Once that is working, install the graphics card (attach the monitor to the card).

Solution

xjustin357

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

Ok I will do that when I get home. Thanks!