A DIY Promposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dshango

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Okay, so there's this girl... we've been best friends for quite some time and we recently started dating. And prom is coming up and I have yet to formally ask her. We both know we're going together, but I'd like to ask her in a really romantic kinda way, and I know what I'd like to do, I'm just not quite sure how to go about doing it.

See where we live, we have an old Fire Tower, it's up on a mountain, so just looking out is beautiful no matter what time of day. What I'd like is to take her up there (I go there a lot, she's never been before, I tell her about it all the time) at night time, when it's totally dark. That way she can't see what I've got set up, cause I don't want to blindfold her or anything, in fact I don't want her to know what's happening until it's already happened. Then after we've been at the top for a bit, flip the switch, and a giant "Prom?" is lit up on the ground ~100 ft below.

I've found some solar powered string lights that I think will work, but other than that... how in the heck am I going to remotely switch on the lights from nearly a hundred feet away?
And if I'm a hundred feet up, will 100 ft of lights be enough?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post this, but I kinda figured if anyone would know this, you all would be the ones.

Thanks

IndianaPail

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
lol idk I think blindfolding might be your best bet though even if the lights dont work just tell her they didnt work
most likely she will then admire you for being real with her and trying your best even though the lights didnt work

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if this an inappropriate place. Main discussions revolve around computer hardware. But there are a lot of technical people around.

For a noble cause:

Recommended letter size @ 100ft is only 4", which might be hard to make legible with what I think you are talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Daylight-Portable-Outdoor-Christmas/dp/B00OH4XU8O/ref=lp_15704861_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422563951&sr=1-3

At 300 Ft they signage makers recommend 9" letters. EL Wire is lit all along it's length and is still low-power so that is something to look into.

To make 9" letters you need about 80" worth. It comes in 3 meter sections or 39". So two ought to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lerway-Festival-Thanksgiving-Christmas-Birthday/dp/B00PQ1JBTY/ref=lp_15704861_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422563951&sr=1-7

All it takes is two AA batteries per string.

So to remote turn on/off, I'll poke around.

(Found a really neat product that is still in the prototype phase, sigh)

Dshango

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Eximo, when you say 'Recommended letter size @ 100ft is only 4"' do you mean each letter should be four inches tall? Because I was thinking something more like 8 feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS