Not sure if I'm bottlenecking

jaydenf181

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
I don't know if I posted this in the right section, but I /think/ my CPU is being bottlenecked by my GPU. I want to use this computer for gaming but it just really doesn't run games very well at all, In most games I tend to get a low, but smooth fps.

Not too good with computers and I'm not entirely sure what contributes to bottlenecking, so I'll just copy most of the specs from dxdiag:

Graphics card:
Name: Nvidia GeForce GT 640
Approx. Total Memory: 7077MB
Current Display Mode: 1920*1080 (32bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHZ (8 CPUs) ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 5063MB Used, 7680MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I never get any higher than 60fps (on minimum graphics) on modern games, averaging around 30fps or below most of the time, however I still hit high fps on older games, for example I get a constant 299-300fps on Counter-Strike: Source

I did two benchmark tests on a game that my computer particularly struggles with (War Thunder), one with my CPU set to 100% capacity and one with my CPU set to 50% capacity, both of the benchmarks averaged around 25-27 fps.

I was just wondering if somebody could confirm that my CPU is being bottlenecked, or let me know if my computer is too weak in general or let me know if there is a completely different problem that I should investigate