How do I know where it's leaking

Joe ballard

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
I filled my radiator up all the way I got a brand-new hose and it still leaks could it be the water pump that is cracked and leaking on the ground or something else

Solution
Whenever it's leaking, you need to pinpoint where it's leaking from. Is it dripping down from a hose? Or is it dripping more from the bottom of the car near like the oil pan? Try cleaning up the areas where its dripping so you're not confusing it with something else. I know in my old honda it leaks a small amount from the water pump near the bottom of the engine and it slid down my oil pan. I knew it was my water pump because all of my hoses were dry and I could see the leak trail leading to my water pump. As said in previous posts, make sure you check your radiator hoses real good.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
You should get a bright flashlight and reading glasses to see closer.. I remember I once had a leak... not on the hose itself... but a hairline crack around the area where the hose clamps onto.. Also, get underneath and check the plug where the coolant drains from... that could be loose... or it could be coming from a hole in your reservoir.

Grinder911

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
You could also try putting some UV dye into the system and have a look around with UV flashlight after running it for a while. The leak should pop right out at you unless it's internal. You can get the dye at pretty much any parts store and for a UV light, you could get one cheap on eBay or just borrow your wife's/GF's UV nail light lol. If you do get the dye be careful if your car has the orange type of coolant, some don't get along with it.

Hmmm I wonder if that stuff would glow enough to look cool in a PC cooling system.

JoeyCrafts

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Whenever it's leaking, you need to pinpoint where it's leaking from. Is it dripping down from a hose? Or is it dripping more from the bottom of the car near like the oil pan? Try cleaning up the areas where its dripping so you're not confusing it with something else. I know in my old honda it leaks a small amount from the water pump near the bottom of the engine and it slid down my oil pan. I knew it was my water pump because all of my hoses were dry and I could see the leak trail leading to my water pump. As said in previous posts, make sure you check your radiator hoses real good.

Solution