Suitable Graphic Card Upgrade For Old PC

fido0101

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Hello All,

I was hoping to get a recommendation on how to upgrade an old PC of mine. This machine will now be used purely for gaming so CUDA considerations and the like can be tossed out the window:

The Current Machine:

CPU: Intel® CoreTMi7 Processor Extreme Edition i7-980X
MOBO: ASUS® RAMPAGE II EXTREME
RAM: 24GB DOMINATOR GT TRI-DDR3 2000MHz
PSU: CORSAIR 1000W MODULAR PSU (HX1000)
Graphics: MSI GTX 590

I would like to get my graphical bang for my buck.

So I was looking at either the GTX 970 or GTX 960 but the recent 970 memory issue has given me 2nd thoughts.

Maybe go AMD with the R290 X it has been ages since I have used an AMD card so any advice there is always welcome ?

So what do you guys think ? Or will any card upgrade just be bottlenecked by the old CPU ?

Thanks for the advice all!

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
You don't have to worry too much about bottlenecking to be honest, the i7 980X is still a solid CPU. I personally prefer Intel products for almost everything except GPUs, however in this case I'd go for the GTX 970, it's slightly better and is somewhat cheaper if you buy your components from newegg.

However yes, it is having some issues and Nvidia hasn't mentioned anything about a driver to fix it. Really depends what you want to do, the 960 is still a decent card so that's always a option as well. Let me know on what you decide!