GPUs not advancing fast enough IMO

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
When a 1300$ GPU has problems churning out 40fps on a game from 2011 (Skyrim will be used as example), you know Nvidia and AMD are deliberately withholding from making too big of breakthroughs in the GPU department. Now I know that Skyrim is 32 bit and the engine is ancient and yada yada, but come on, brute force that bitch and make it run 55-60fps at all times. K ENB Pure Light, extreme version, 1920x1080 resolution, all I hear is that you need sli 980 to run acceptable fps. Really? Embarrassing.
And here I was, debating if I'll upgrade my 680 to big maxwell when it comes out. I guess not (and it'll most likely be 28nm, at least at first, pfff.) I guess I'll buy whatever top GPU is the second attempt at 16nm (year 2018?), since the first 16nm will probably not be so impressive.
So if I wanted to run this enb at 2560x1600 resolution at 60 fps constant, I'd need 4 GTX Titan Z......and they dare talk of 4k gaming, dear god...I mean, hardcore 4k gaming, Crysis, Metro, Elder Scrolls and Fallout with mods, GTA with mods, etc.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Well Crysis is a game designed to push the modern day PC, in each game (except may Crysis 2). Also Mods for games do not count as they are player made and especially some Skyrim mods they do not give the highest efficiency for your GPU to display. Meaning it is un-optimised and is essentially an add on, on top of the already existing engine.
With my r9 290 with Skyrim+ENB+2-4k textures. I get roughly 50fps, but then when I go into Whiterun it drops to 35-40fps. Likely due to the amount of objects it's had to load from all my Whiterun mods but without them and just ENB there is nearly no drop. So it's the actual older engine not optimised with the newer mods on it.
My point is even with 4 r9 290's or GTX 980's you will still hit that fps drop due to limitations.

Then again there are games like Shadow of Morder, which ran great on most cards and you don't need a high end or multiple graphics card to run that very well.
It's more like 4k you'll have alot of problems with most games. Although you are right, if you want those graphics you'll have to pay for the newer and greatest every year. Gpu's are advancing quite fast still as it always has, it's just waiting for the right and good deal at the time.

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hey I can run ENB with my 680 as well with good fps, but I'm talking about best of the best ENB for a 3 year old game which brings the best of the best single gpu to its knees at a standard resolution (1920x1080). And the 980 is trading blows with the 780ti. And whatever gpu they bring out this year, it'll still be on 28nm and probably still get destroyed by these enbs. There are enbs for Crysis 2 and 3 I believe, imagine how much power you'd need to run that.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

What I mean is, enb's alter the game. Whereas a game which uses it's own lighting effects (not an enb) runs quite well.
Because the enb is an add on.

Although then you have Far Cry 4 (which is a game meant to push systems) but it's lighting is quite good like an enb, but ran quite poorly at launch.