Games Freezing for 20-50 Sec Period

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I have only experienced this is 2 games so far, which are.

Arma 3
Dying Light

There will come a point in the game where, it will freeze for 20 seconds or more (No More then a min) I think it may be something to do with my GPU temps, maybe, the highest it went tonight was 81' Degrees. (I forgot to turn the fan up, so it would normally be around 50-70' degrees when playing)

My Specs just in case you want to know

I5 4460 3.2Ghz x 4
Corsair x 2 of 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire R7 265 (Dual Fan)

I was also thinking, maybe lack of power, I have a 500w OCW Core X-Stream PSU (https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw...on%2Focz-power-supply-roundup%2F2%2F;1024;680)

Thanks If you can help!

What do you have open in the background? You have enough power to run your system so it's not that. Your CPU is good enough to run those games and you have enough RAM. So that is making me think that your GPU is causing the problem. Now when it freezes is it in game? Or when it's opening or loading things? Also are you playing online?

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Its when I am playing the game, its mostly random, Im starting to think it is, and the only thing open in the background is >> AVG, Steam, and maybe TS3. So nothing, Im defo not running out of RAM, I know that!

EDIT: Just checking to make sure I haven't got a sneaky virus!

Total hang of a PC for a few seconds can be a disk error recovery action, especially a spinning drive.

Look at your disk activity light on your PC when the game is running normally then look at the disk activity light during the hang. If disk light is on solid then consider running the disk manufacturer's diagnostic test. (Device manager says who made your drive, Seagate, Western Digital, etc.) The Manufacturer's site will have diagnostic tools. The extended SMART test takes a few hours to run so overnight is best.

Chad Fisher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Well I just put my games on a new HDD (got it today) WD 1TB Blue. Havn't tried Arma 3 But Dyling Light froze about two times. So Ill have to see, I'm thinking its my OS drive, The "System" Proecess keeps using quite abit of the HDD

EDIT: Arma 3 seems to be fine on the new HDD, seems to load quicker too. Think it was my HDD, because this HDD, is hardly been used on the Task Manager, but my other one was at 80+% all the time.

Nishchai

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
This could be a problem related to drive not being set to the latest standard for Windows vista and above.

See link below
http://superuser.com/questions/471102/change-from-ide-to-ahci-after-installing-windows-8/593938#593938?newreg=127ac3d8058f4661a2024a86ac0a7579

Run msconfig (right click far left bottom corner of desktop then left click run, type msconfig).

Click boot tab, mark safe boot, restart, change to AHCI in BIOS, boot, Windows boots in safe mode.

Run msconfig again, boot tab unmark safe boot, restart PC.

PC works fine. Don't mess with regedit you only need to boot in safe mode to fix this, very simple.