Can i unplug a fan while a computer is running?

Wicks

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Hey guys!

Not so long ago i started to get a not so loud 'grinding' sound from one of my fans. I tested my hard drives, so its definetly a fan. My question is, because its not that loud, i can't locate it by simply listening. I want to unplug my fans one by one, but can i do it while its on? or should i unplug, turn off, unplug an other one and so on?

Kissmyne

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
I would suggest testing them one by one cycling the computer on and off. Although I wouldn't expect unplugging fans "live" to kill a mobo, I've seen things fail for less of a reason.

Wicks

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Ah okay, then i will power it down between tries. The problem is, the sound only comes when i first start up my computer in the morning. Then its fine, all day, so its not serious right now, but its a starting problem and don't want to wait total failure.

Kissmyne

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
I would suggest dusting out your rig, and checking your cables/wires for snags. Also usually one of the first fans I've "heard" is typically PSU related. I hope that is helpful.

Wicks

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
No dust in it, the first thing i tried was that, cablemanagement is okay. Also, you might be right with the PSU fan, the sound got stronger when i listened to the back, so its either my exhaust fans or the PSU exhaust. The PSU is Kraun, so its not a well known brand and its alrdy 2 years old :S