Identical Dell E2414H Dual Monitors with AMD Radeon HD 8670D not detecting

iloveketchup

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Windows 7 64bit

The video card is an AMD Radeon HD 8670D graphics card (integrated on MOBO).

I have two IDENTICAL Dell E2414H monitors. One is connected through the DVI port, the other through the HDMI port using a DVI to HD converter cable. The monitors do not have HDMI inputs (Just DVI).

When both monitors are plugged in, the one connected to the HDMI port only works. When I unplug the monitor connected to the HDMI port, the one connected to the DVI port turns on.

They won't work at the same time (one just goes to sleep claiming no signal).

I've tried just about everything in the AMD Catalyst Control Center, windows display settings, and BIOS without any luck. I've ran AMD's driver update detection, etc... seems like all the drivers are up to date.

Thoughts? Is this card capable of dual monitors using both the HDMI (w/ DVI -> HDMI cable) and DVI port simultaneously?

BTW. the Mobo is a newer asus (ASUS A88X-PRO FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard). Relevant settings in the UEF Bios utility are as follows:

NB Config

IGFX Multi Mon = Enabled (i changed this back and forth testing), default is disabled
Pri Video Device = PCIE/PCI video
Integrated Graphics = Auto
HDMI/DVI Port output (Auto) - if i change this back and forth, i believe it changes what monitor works when both are plugged in. There isn't a "both" setting
PCIEX16_1 = Auto

Update 2/1/2105:

Installation of the newest AMD Catalyst (14.12) did not correct this issue.

iloveketchup

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015

Yes, Catalyst is installed. Version 13.2. Looks like there's a 14.12... going to give it a shot.

iloveketchup

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
One thing that does act rather strange...

when fiddling around in windows "Screen Resolution" area... (right click, Screen Resolution), if i place "extend desktop", the active screen shrinks my windows desktop background, all of my icons go away, but the other monitor doesn't go on.

I suspect it's trying to make the other display my primary, but then the "keep this setting" timer (15 seconds), must just time out and the settings revert....

Odd... not sure how to handle that one.

However, if i try mirroring displays, the resolution just cuts down, and the other display stays dead.