Twitch Streaming - AMD vs. Intel. Which one for me?

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Forgive the excessively long post but I'm giving you guys every bit of information for the best possible answer.

My current build:
- FX-6300
- 8GB DDR3 1600
- R9 280X
- CM Hyper 212 EVO
- Win7 x64
- Corsair HX750

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am aware:
- that Intel's CPU's have stronger individual cores but less of them and AMD CPU's have weaker individual cores but more of them.
- that Intel CPU's perform better with single threaded applications and good, if not great, with multi-threaded applications (some newer games) and AMD CPU's don't perform as well with single threaded applications but great with multi-threaded applications ("all"(?)newer games).

Introduction to why I'm here:
I stream on Twitch a lot. And by a lot, I mean every time I play a game (which is daily), I'm usually streaming. No, I don't have a lot of viewers, and by that, I mean I get a few. I do it for fun, absolutely love every second of it, and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Currently, I stream Minecraft, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and (sometimes) League of Legends, so relatively older games. Other games I own and stream from time to time are Far Cry 4, Battlefield 4 (VERY rarely), and Wolfenstein: The New Order, so relatively newer games. But again, these aren't streamed very often.

When I play Minecraft, I average 90-120FPS, maxing at nearly 200FPS (I play with almost lowest settings). When I stream Minecraft, I average around 40-80. When I play CS:GO, I average 200-350FPS, again, almost lowest settings since you don't need all the graphics in that game. When I stream CS:GO, I average 70 to...150(?) tops. On League, I have zero issues with frames on ultra settings whether I'm streaming or not.

Am I looking to play newer games? It's hard to say. None of them have impressed me so far except Far Cry 4. I love FPS games and similar ones of the like. I'm not good with genre's, so I'm not about to list ones that probably aren't correct. I do have the hard drive space for any game(s) though.

The main part:
As you can see, I drop a CRAP load of frames when I stream. Almost an unnecessary amount... Yes, it is very noticeable to me. Ideally, my budget is as low as possible. I am willing to pay for a good setup but I'd like to cap at around $400.

I'm down to either an FX-8350 or i5 4690K. I don't know which motherboard I would get with either CPU. I know nothing about overclocking but from what I understand, it's as easy as going into BIOS and turning up the multiplier. I know both CPU's are capable of overclocking and I would like to when I get whichever.

Conclusion:
Strictly speaking streaming, which CPU would you guys recommend and why? Also, a motherboard recommendation would be nice. I do zero video/photo editing and things of that nature. Computer is used for gaming, movies, music, and web browsing.

amej8

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Well here's something I did not know... That I'd have to reinstall Windows if I made the switch to Intel. I bought an OEM version so I'm SOL. Buying another copy of Windows with an i5 4690K and mobo will put me over my budget, so I guess I'm going to try the FX-8350 route.