Think I have been hacked. Strange Mac addresses?

Jake Gray

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
So I was looking at the client list in my modem and I found 3 strange mac addresses. One I can not find on any lookup website, one says it belongs to dell, and the one I am really worried about says its Liteon Technology Corporation.

Does anyone know what this liteon thing could be hooked into my modem? Is it safe?

I tried to filter it out with the mac filtering in the gateway config but they are still there. How can i kick it outta my modem and block it from coming back?

These are the mac addresses.

14:2d:27:3c:42:59
(WiFi)(0)(0) Primary.... This one I can not find.

20:16: d8:1c:97:10 (had to put a space it made a smiley)
(WiFi)(0)(0) Primary... The liteon one!

5c:26:0a:80:b4:63
Eth-Switch Lan(0) ....Only one cord plugged into modem and this is not my pc... Dell??????

Thank you for the help.
Jake

McHenryB

Admirable
If you are sure that you have no other networked devices - phones, TVs, DVD players, etc. are increasingly network enabled - then use MAC filtering to block it and delete it from the client list (if you don't do that it will still appear in the client list for quite a time, depending on the lease life).

And make sure that you have WPA2 encryption on your wireless network.

Jake Gray

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I double checked every device in my house and none of them match the 3 I listed. And I cant find how to clear them off the client list. I am a little scared to mess with the settings as I don't know much about how they work.

Its a ubee dd365 modem/wireless router

Dragon33

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I got exact same thing. It said Lite on corp Taiwan. I reset my password to something huge and confusing it lasted about six weeks and now its back. It takes the internet away from me and draws all the usage. I went in and have redone the pass phrase again and made this one even harder. When it came up on the network map it came up as a PS3

The exposure in WPA is not a hack that allows access it allows data injection. This is related to TKIP vs AES. The key exchange is exactly the same and exactly as secure as wpa2. The preshared keys are not crackable unless you are stupid.

The more common hack is the WPS that so many routers leave on by default. No matter how good a key you use this "great" feature will tell someone what it is. It only takes about 10hours to crack this and once they get the WPS key for the router the have it. There is no way to change it so you can never fix it.

Always disable WPS....your would only enable it for those stupid devices that have no other option and then immediately turn it off again.