I just built a new PC

Athlon x4 860k
DRR3 HyperX Fury 8GB 1x8 CL10 RAM
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H
1TB Seagate HDD
Fractal Design 1300
Club3D R7 265
EVGA 500B

Now, the PC turns on, but it doesn't show anything to the monitor. I tried VGA, that didn't work I tried my GPU's output, onboard but neither worked. I don't have a speaker connected so I don't hear a beep. I triple checked every connection. Does anyone know why it won't work?

drxuess

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Epicman2456,

I've had a similar problem before. After looking at your X4 860K it seems it does not have integrated graphics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_accelerated_processing_unit_microprocessors#.22Kaveri.22_.282014.2C_28_nm.29), i.e. in plugging it directly to onboard would not work as "To use the onboard graphics ports, you must install an AMD APU with integrated graphics." Source: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4716#sp

As such I'm suspecting a problem with your Graphics Card. Check your cables and make sure everything is plugged in. If it still doesnt work, try slotting in a different graphics card and see if it works. You can also try RMAing your graphics card and see if a new one works.

Hope this helps!

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

I tried that. But if this info helps, I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable (One ends HDMI one is DVI-I)

Does that add any info to help? I have an old monitor that's 1280x1024 and no DP ports there. Should I try with only DVI cables

drxuess

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015

hmmm, I've had bad experience with converter cables its best to just use a converter. try changing the cable :)

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

That doesn't work either, I tried using an HDMI cable and that didn't work. I also tried plugging in the DVI end of the DVI to HDMI cable into the GPU and that didn't work either.

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

What do you mean "am I using a different GPU to my R7"

This is my first build, I don't have any spare cards to test with.

UPDATE: I contacted GIGABYTE about my problem, they said that my RAM was fine, and since I don't have any speakers to plug into my MOBO, I shoult get it and see what beeps I'm getting. I'll get back to you when I have them

drxuess

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
oh awesome :) that would help, but my current thought would be its probably something to do with your GPU and if it is, your Mobo won't beep since its not an error on the actual board. Its rather hard to test since you dont have a spare GPU. but do let me know how it goes :)

The troubleshooting checklist in the stickies at the top of the forum was created for this type of problem. If you perform all the steps in the checklist it will help you narrow down what's causing the problem. There's also a link to the checklist in my signature.

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

I already followed the steps in the checklist.

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

It turns out it could either be the mobo's problem or the GPU's problem. I did some searching at found out that the MOBO I have might have an outdated BIOS that doesn't support my CPU, just my luck. I have to send an RMA for the MOBO or the GPU. If it does beep, it's the GPU if it doesn't, it's the MOBO

epicman2456

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
I FIXED IT: Turns out my Mobo was dead. I went to my local NCIX and they tested the build and found out that the mobo was broken and they replaced it. It works just fine now :D