Need Opinion on Several Upgrade Paths for UltraHD (aka. 4K) Gaming

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Hello, I am an old Tom's hardware forum member back from the land of the dead, this time not to help others on the forum but to be helped myself / being give advice on several possible upgrades for my current build.

At the moment my build consists (very briefly) of:
i7 - 3770K OC @4.50GHz (24/7)
8GB of RAM @2000MHz
GTX 680 2GB OC @1350MHz (24/7)
120GB SSD for non-game applications and 2x500GB HDD's in RAID 0 for games and files

This build has been serving me well for 1080p gaming, however, the big change has come.
I just recently purchaged a brand new 4K display from Dell. (I will glady say which one if anyone of you guys wants to know but for now it's irrelevant)
As you would imagine, my GTX 680 with it's 2GB VRAM is not powerfull enough to play the latest games at full 4K with highest settings like I would want to.

Because of that I do believe it is time for an upgrade but that as rised a few questions.
For discussion sake let's say there is no defined budged and that any justified purchases would be made regardless. Here is my wall of questions.

The 4GB VRAM on the GTX980 scares me a bit, should I wait to see what the 390X from AMD will offer?

Should I just jump and buy 2x290X with 8GB VRAM (each) since they are so cheap now?

Should I upgrade my RAM too?

If were to sell my GTX680 knowing it's a MSI Lightning Edition what price should I put on it?

Please feel free to discuss, argue and ask me anything you want, I would really apreciate some help making up my mind.

Thanks a lot and please reply :)

-Lone-

Admirable
As much as I love how great 4k looks, I would wait for better GPUs. Let's just say even with my build it is still not satisfactory. My specs are in my signature, but yes I would upgrade your RAM, you'll most likely need more in about 2 years, I use a bit over 7GB of RAM just for running a game and background programs, so that's pretty close. Also, the 8GB of VRAM won't help you by much, only like 3 more fps.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I do already have the display, it's pure amazeness, I do photography work so the display doesn't go to waste even if I don't game on it just yet. However, I've seen some promissing benchmarks of "just" 2 GTX 980 cards in SLI being able to get very decent frame rates even at that huge resolution (which is not hard to believe given that 4k is 4x the number of pixels in Full HD, a GTX 980 is just about 2x faster than my 680 and the scalling is almost 100%)

-Lone-

Admirable

Yeah, in some games it is good, but in others it's just annoying. Like I can get like 100 fps in BF4 4k@ultra, but I can get like 30 fps in FC4 4k@ultra, so it really depend on the game. If you have Windows 8.1, the scaling would be better. If you can wait, I'd get the 390x or 980 ti when they come out.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I've been trying really hard to find release dates for the 390X (I really wanna see the 3D memory which would be a dream for 4k) but I seem to find absolutly nothing yet, how far do you thing it is? Because the GTX 980 Ti is probably really far.

Also, what about the price on my GTX680? Do you have any idea?

-Lone-

Admirable

I think somewhere close to June for the 390x, but not 100% sure. The 980 ti could be in a few months or early next year. I have never sold any PC parts before, so I wouldn't know, lol. I'm not very good at selling either :)

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Thank you very much :)
I will take in consideration everything you said.

Summing up, wait for the launch of the 390X, buy 2 of those beasts.
And waiting for a good deal on 16 or 32GB and buy it (I don't wanna spend too much on RAM since I was planning going X99 or equivalent mid next year and that will be DDR4 :p)

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Honestly it's hard to recommend any current video cards for 4k. The cheapest way to go is to get two 4GB 290x cards for around $600USD total. Two 980s(or more)would be best but they are too damn expensive still. Two 290x cards would provide around 90% of what two 980s would do. It's still hard to recommend them knowing the 300 series cards are coming so soon. 8GB vram seems like a good idea for 4k, but I don't think we are there yet. Look for all of the 390/390x and 980ti to have 8GB vram

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Yep, I was thinking of waiting for the 390X, if the 290X has 8GB models so will the 390X have I guess.
Plus that should be about 110% the performance of the 980 (or more since latest AMD cars seem to scale better going to 4K than Nvidia does probably due to better VRAM)

-Lone-

Admirable

I'm on the verge of giving up this beauty because of dissatisfaction, lol.

-Lone-

Admirable
Actually I'm testing BFH Beta right now and it is a bit laggy, I don't know from what, but it just is, it's still not done yet, so I don't expect it to be perfect. V sync is like totally not ready, I'm getting like 160 fps 4k@high with it on, lol. Since it won't let me change the texture settings, but I guess the graphics improved a bit, like the water, lights, reflection.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

I would take one of your 295x2 any day of the week sir ahahah just need one :c

-Lone-

Admirable

:lol: I was going to convert my build to something like triple Swifts with 2-4 980 ti's or something.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Damn, you are mad ahahahah
Please, if you ever do could you get in touch with me? I would love to see the results and benchmarks.

And if you ever wanna sell one of yours 2x295, I would actually be glad to buy if the price is right.

-Lone-

Admirable

Sure, if you wanna stay in contact in game wise, we could use Steam or Origin, since they're like the base of all games.

-HH-

Dignified
Okay So, I'm running 4K on a single GTX 980 currently and I don't know if I've got simply the best PCB or whether Benchmarks and everyone is super over the top but in most of the games I play which include: Dota 2, Dirt 3, Grid Autosport, TF2, Wolfenstien, Watch Dogs, Borderlands series ETC. I play some demanding games. The thing is im hitting 60 FPS on all these titles (pretty much all on max settings too).

I wouldn't advise against waiting if you want even more performance but I think you'd like the GTX 980's anyway.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Yes, I am aware that the GTX 980 would perform pretty well in 99% of the games but it's the other 1% I wanna play, like Crysis 3, BF4, FC4, Witcher 3 (that will be a though one) and it kinda makes me scare VRAM wise. I mean, 4k is 4xFullHD, I hit my 2GB VRAM at FullHD is some games like Asseto Corsa, Crysis 3 and BF4. That would mean I need 4x2GB to be absolutly sure I won't have a problem. Because 4GB might be enought for one GPU bit when I SLI 2 GTX980 the VRAM doesn't add up.

-Lone-

Admirable

Probably nothing new or old, I'll get my new TV while waiting for the new GPUs and sell my current TV, but it's around $5,500-$7,500 for the TV though (not out yet either, price unknown), time to start saving :)