My first high-end gaming build. (€1500~2000)

Player58428

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hi people from around the world,

I have several questions regarding picking parts to upgrade my current system.
However you can regard this as a complete new build since almost every part (with some exceptions) will be upgraded in the coming months.

Current system:
CPU: AMD FX-6100 + stock cooler
Mobo: Asus M5A97
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9S3P1K2/4G (16GB total)
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Storage: 500GB HDD (ST005DM005 HD502HJ) + Crucial 256GB SSD
Case: Brandless black steel ATX. Low placed PSU and 1 front intake (140mm) and back outtake (100mm?)

Approximate Purchase Date: The first upgrades will be done around the end of this month (paycheck time, 20/25 Feb). Every next upgrades will be done at the same time in the coming months.

Budget Range: 500 (max. 750) euros for each month.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (mostly offline, some online, triple A, GTA V), downloading, browsing the web, personal administration.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but not until May or June. I have no special preference for a curved screen but I would like an (AH)IPS panel for good color display, scale 21:9 at a resolution of 3440x1440, @60Hz or higher if not too pricy. My options are:
LG 34UM95-P (first choice)
Samsung S34E790C
AOC U3477PQU
Dell U3415W (curved)
Maybe Acer Predator XR341CK (but I'm afraid that will be an expensive one)
As always these choices are open to comments and suggestions.

Also, is it worth it to invest my time and money into G-Sync/FreeSync technology?

Parts to Upgrade:

I plan to upgrade everything except for my RAM and maybe PSU (I'm not sure if bronze certified is that reliable in the long run).

The CPU + Cooler and matching Mobo are the highest priority so those will be bought at the end of February. I think this is the most significant bottleneck.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX
Mobo: My doubts lie between the ASRock Z97 Extreme6 and the MSI Z97 GAMING 7 (first choice).
If any of you think any other board will support my future system better please share your thoughts.

The following month I want to buy a new case plus an extra case fan and some more storage since I find the 500GB just a bit cramped.
Tower/Case: Fractal Design Define R5 + Towerfan: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD ST3000DM001, 3TB.

For the more expensive stuff in May: With a 3440x1440 monitor in mind (in June) I plan to buy the MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G. SLI is on the table but since I have no experience with it and a single card is more stable I am going for the 980, instead of SLI 970.
There are many debates around MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS and EVGA but my choice went for MSI because of the fairly high clockspeed, design and noise levels.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Sites of the item's producer, like Intel.com or MSI. I have no use for retailers in the US since I live in Europe and the price differences are probably not that significant.

Parts Preferences: I am favored toward Intel over AMD in favor of power usage and noise production. Other than that it doesn't need to be gimmicky, rather minimalistic in looks.

Overclocking: Probably, with 3 140mm case fans and a good CPU cooler it's a good start but have no experience with it.

SLI or Crossfire: Also probably. A GTX 980 should do the trick for a 3440x1440 monitor but maybe not in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution:
Right now I run 1080p 16:9 but I am looking into 3440x1440 21:9 (34 inch).

Additional Comments: None except that I will mostly be playing the most recent games. Very much looking forward to playing GTA V on PC. Preferably at 60+ FPS at high/ultra settings, I really love that eye candy :)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: As mentioned above and my budget allows it since a few months.

Recap

Targeted End Result (open to change):
Mobo: MSI Z97 GAMING 7
CPU: Intel i5-4690K
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9S3P1K2/4G
Optical Drive: The one I use now, nothing special.
PSU: Corsair CX750M
GPU: MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G (Future SLI)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5
Case Fan: Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD ST3000DM001, 3TB + Crucial 256GB SSD
Monitor: LG 34UM95-P

In short:
1. What do you think of the new system in general? Will I run in to any complications? For example issues with SLI, power consumption or case/component sizes? I think it will all be fine but I would like the extra set of eyes.
2. Any advice regarding the monitors? I am still on the fence about those curved screens.
3. G-Sync/Freesync. Is it worth it?
4. What significance does the choice in Mobo carry? The MSI Gaming 5 was also on the table but then I went for 7 "since it costs more, so it is better" (I know, not very objective).
5. My decision in GPU is pretty solid but feel free to comment on that since it is a big price tag.
6. Lastly, I am interested in water cooling but it seems a bit above my capabilities at this moment. Would this build be compatible with water cooling in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that! Don't feel obligated to answer all my questions. Any advice, small or big, is welcome.

g-unit1111

Titan
1. That looks pretty good actually there's not a lot I would change. Except for the power supply, don't get a Corsair CX especially if you plan on going SLI. Get a Seasonic X or a EVGA G2/P2 instead.

2. That monitor is pretty ridiculous actually. I'd love to get an Ultra Wide but they're right now a little too rich for my blood, although if you're going to pay that much for a monitor I'd go 4K before I go Ultra Wide.

3. Those are just marketing terms, they don't really mean or do anything.

4. The differences mainly lie in what RAM speeds and PCI-E lanes the motherboard has. I have the entry level Z97-G45 Gaming and it's an excellent motherboard, the 7 series really isn't that much different.

5. Can't go wrong with a GTX 980, but for your budget you could easily go with a GTX 970 SLI setup.

6. I have the Define R4 and it's a solid case, it can easily handle a 2 fan radiator for a custom water loop.