ASUS ROG Swift 27" / A few questions

Harsh Kumawat

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
So I want to get a monitor 144hz with G-Sync but I wanted to know that apart from my desktop can I use it for My XBox console via DP to HDMI aswell?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Officially, the Swift does not support HDMI-to-DP passthrough. I'm not sure what success people have had with active converters (passive ones will for sure not work), but the monitor will only display your console games at 1080p and 60 Hz. You won't get the higher resolution, refresh rate, or G-Sync benefits if you succeed at playing your console on it.

CraigN

Distinguished
Officially, the Swift does not support HDMI-to-DP passthrough. I'm not sure what success people have had with active converters (passive ones will for sure not work), but the monitor will only display your console games at 1080p and 60 Hz. You won't get the higher resolution, refresh rate, or G-Sync benefits if you succeed at playing your console on it.

Solution

Harsh Kumawat

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

"Can DVI/HDMI be converted to DP via adapter?
DVI-DL does not have the bandwidth to support 2560 x 1440 at 144 Hz.
We do not recommend using an HDMI to DP adapter as this is not qualified or supported in Nvidia drivers."

This is what is said on the ASUS website, I will use a DP for my desktop so that's fine but I just want to know why the monitor will change to 1080p at 60Hz?

Thanks for the response by the way.

CraigN

Distinguished
On your desktop, it will not limit you to 1080p if you use DisplayPort. HDMI cannot output more than 1080p@60Hz from the video card. You need DisplayPort to achieve 2560x1440p @ 144 Hz.

If you used an HDMI to DP active converter for your console, and if it worked, it would change to 1080p @ 60Hz because HDMI from the console can only output 1080p@60 Hz.

Harsh Kumawat

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Thank you for making it clear to me, much appreciated.